FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

200 year old warded lock picked with 200 year old tools

<<

ratlock

Familiar Face

Post Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:33 pm

200 year old warded lock picked with 200 year old tools

Here is kinda closing a circle for me. its the lock picks that belonged to my Dad, that he found in a safe, of a construction company he bought in the 1970s. That I later found in his toolbox, when I was changing a lock at my mums house, a few years after he passed away.
If your going to pick a lock thats almost 200 years old, then what better way to do it, then use 200 year old lock picks.

Enjoy a warded lock internals too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hu_C2zAvo8
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:09 pm

Re: 200 year old warded lock picked with 200 year old tools

Great video Dennis. I use some of my dad's old tools - some of which he made himself as an apprentice in the post-war years - and there's something very satisfying about using gear that's been handed down.
<<

ratlock

Familiar Face

Post Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:42 pm

Your right about that. When you look at a hand made tool, or a tool thats worn by the hands of the user, its like a signature.

Im a magpie of tools made by locksmiths, (much to the suffering of the bank balance)and from raimondo, to John Falle, Chris Belcher, to martin pink. Mr Li, to Geraint Jones.
from Jack Coomber, to David Kneafsey, and loads more besides. Ive amassed a collection of tools, all hand made by guys that take pride in their work, and understand the workings of the lock, in the smallest detail.
A little somthing of the tool maker is captured in the very metal a tool made of, and when you hear that lock go click. Whether its a 200 year old lock, or the latest high security safe.
The big smile on your face is timeless.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:46 pm

Thanks! Really great tools! This old lock picking stuff and also safe cracking is a fascinating topic. I read everything I could found about this, e.g. Pinkerton's book.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

ratlock

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:19 am

Heres a quick follow on just to show in clearer detail, warded locks, and a wee bit showning the defferance between a warded key, and a skeleton key.
I still cant pick a 1 lever lock on a sunday morning.
Enjoy, locks at their most basic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FDQA-IQ2AM
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:03 am

Very cool, Dennis. A pleasure to watch.

I have a few sets like the one you show. I can only find pics of one of them for now. Before and after cleaning: https://goo.gl/photos/KrGe18vvHDF6Y5x58

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

ratlock

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:20 am

Hi Mr A. Good to see your tools.(good to hear from you) I could send you a lock to try them out on if you like.
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:32 am

ratlock wrote:Hi Mr A. Good to see your tools.(good to hear from you) I could send you a lock to try them out on if you like.

Very cool of your to offer, Dennis. No need though. I have a few here.

Many thanks.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock