FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Old castell padlock pat n 430168

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:22 am

Old castell padlock pat n 430168

I got this nice padlock some time ago and was going to make a key for it.

I found a key cut quite shallow that seemed a bit too big but could fit. Filed it until it entered the keyway. Then I blackened it with a candle and tried to impression it. Got not much luck because I couldn't find a way to put pressure to the pins to leave marks. Pulling the lock apart with my fingers was not enough, and I don't want to ruin this beauty so I'm not going to force it with tools that could leave marks. Does anybody have some hints on how to impression it?

I shimmed it open and analyzed the pins. The bittings seems very similar to a couple keys I found with an online search. The first pin long, the second one very short and the last two almost the same length as the first one. Is this padlock part of a big master key system?

<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:35 am

Re: Old castell padlock pat n 430168

Wow so old and has the Y1 keyway, very interesting. Great lock and find and work :)
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:44 am

To fit it I've cut away half a mm from the top and the bottom of the key.
I'm left with just the middle part of a Y1 key.

Cheers :)
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:44 am

I got a couple YA6 blanks and filed down one to fit the keyway. I had to file it on top and bottom, but fortunately I hadn't to fiddle with the wardings because they matches.

Here is my first failed attempt with an old key and the new blank just filed.

And here are the pin impressions. I'm impressed (pun intended) on how good they are.
I've sanded the key smooth with 400 grit sandpaper, inserted in the padlock and wiggled left and right while trying to pull the lock apart with my fingers. I really don't want to ruin this padlock so I'm taking my time and working carefully.
I'll scrape some lines along the pin positions on the key side so I can follow them while filing.
I'll finish this key as soon as I have some free time.

A warning if you shim these padlocks: the first two pins will fly away when you open it. Keep the shim down while opening the lock.
If it happens, don't move the lock, look for the pins and insert them again. The pin stacks are balanced so be sure to put the correct pin in its chamber.

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:15 am

After a lot of filing I got the key that opened the lock.

I was very happy and excited and had time to take the pictures you see above before closing the padlock again.

Then I felt something small falling. One pin was on the floor and another one was on the table. Now I know why the original key has such a weird looking flat part between the bittings and the bow.
I had to think for a few minutes to understand why the bottom pins of chamber 1 and 2 fell off and to find a way to put them back where they belonged.
I closed the padlock, removed the key and shimmed it open again. I kept the padlock upside down so the top pins in chamber 1 and 2 were sitting in the plug and not in the lock body. I could then open it and insert the bottom pins back in their chambers. If it wasn't possible to shim it I could have broken it at least three times already.

I need to solder something on the bottom of this key to fill the gap between it and the plug. Now that I know it has this defect I can use it alongside with a pick, so the pins can't fly out again. Or I can find a proper key blank and copy the bittings to that blank.

Comparing the old key I tried to impression earlier with the working one, I see I may still make it work. Looks like I just need to make some cuts deeper. It's strange that I stopped getting marks.

Finally the padlock has its strage hasp on again and its working key.

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:20 am

To solve the problem of the pins falling down, I filed the shoulder of the key and cut a piece of brass to match the gap between the key and the padlock.

Ten got ready to solder it. I heated everything and then applied some solder, then heated some more and added some more solder. I then checked the brass piece was straight and heated it just a few seconds more, then let it cool.

I left the brass piece a bit bold so I filed it down later. Then sanded it smooth and finally gave it a quick buff.
This padlock finally has a properly working key!

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:31 am

Here is the key with the blank I used. As you can see it was heavily modified.

Now that I look at it this way, I think I could have done it different.
I could have filed the tip shorter and filed the bow instead of having to add a piece.
When I have some time I may try to make a copy of that key...

<<

PappaPig

Familiar Face

Post Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:28 am

Greetings to you @femurat,

And what an interesting read this thread has been. I too have a Castell pouch padlock without a key. I got it in a batch of 10 vintage padlocks without keys, for £10.

I have another 3 Castell pouche padlocks that have keys, and would like to make a key for this one (although I have no experience in doing so).

I am searching for some Silca YA6 blanks, and will try to make one fit the padlock. Your posts should help me.

Did you ever make another key to replave the one you brazed a part on to? If yes, would you post a picture of it?

Regards to you,

PappaPig
Nothing ventured, nothing gained...
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:44 am

Hi PappaPig! I'm sorry but I did not make that key. It's one of the many things I want to do when I have time. But that moment never comes. The concept is quite simple and I'm sure you'll make a nice key anyway!

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock