FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Medeco Protector series 50

<<

Stretch

Post Wed May 11, 2016 10:01 pm

Medeco Protector series 50

I recently scored this beauty off ebay. I had actually planned to use this lock but it turned out to not be what I thought I was buying. Should have done better research before pulling the trigger but at least now I have another really cool lock for the collection. I am wondering if anyone knows when these locks were manufactured? Information on these locks is sparse to put it mildly.

The design and materials used on this lock are top notch except for the relatively thin and weak 11mm stainless shackle which disqualifies it for my intended use. I was led to believe it had a 13mm hardened shackle, again, should have done more thorough research before making the buy. I cannot work out why in the world they would make amassive lock full of hardened rods with a top loading six pin Medeco cylinder then use an 11mm stainless shackle that can be very easily cut. I suppose it was meant to be used with a protective hasp in an outdoor environment perhaps? That's the only possible explanation I an come up with.

The lock body
2016-05-11 22.21.14.jpg

Disassembled
2016-05-11 22.23.01.jpg

The core
I did not realize that the original Medeco key pins have milled gates and not the broached gates that have been exploited in the newer cylinders.
2016-05-11 22.23.28.jpg

Drivers
2016-05-11 22.23.50.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed May 11, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Medeco Protector series 50

nice score.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Thu May 12, 2016 9:46 am

funny you should post this - I got a chance to see a new Protector II in person yesterday at work. I honestly was not really impressed with the lock - they make it look a lot better in the promo videos (naturally)
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Stretch

Post Thu May 12, 2016 10:55 am

Agreed, the new Protector 2's are definitely a major improvement over the original though. With the cast stainless vs bronze body and boron vs stainless shackle. For the price tag there are much better locks out there in my opinion. With that said though they are pretty unique and a neat lock for the collection for people like myself who are in to that sort of thing.
<<

DroppedTensionWrench

Post Thu May 12, 2016 7:28 pm

Very nice padlock. I also did some brief online searching but didn't find much info on them. I'll send Medeco an email and let you know if the respond.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Thu May 12, 2016 8:38 pm

jeffmoss26 wrote:funny you should post this - I got a chance to see a new Protector II in person yesterday at work. I honestly was not really impressed with the lock - they make it look a lot better in the promo videos (naturally)

I was not impressed with the Factory cutaway of the Protector II I saw last October, I found it lacking :(
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock