FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Yale Bicentric Gut Shot

<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:22 pm

Yale Bicentric Gut Shot

As many photos as I've seen of bicentric Yale padlocks, I can't recall ever seeing one gutted. This week however, I came into possession of a (badly) broken one that nonetheless had an open shackle. As a result, I decided to do something about the lack of gutted pics while repairing it.

Hopefully this layup gives a good idea of how these padlocks work (at least in shared custody format).

<<

mrdeus

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:16 am

Re: Yale Bicentric Gut Shot

Nice photo! So either key would open the lock?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:32 am

mrdeus wrote:Nice photo! So either key would open the lock?

On that shared custody model, yes. On Dual Custody models, then both keys are required to open the lock.

Thank you for the gut shots, Robotnik! Have seen a picture or two a while back, but mostly can only find patent drawings. Appreciate the effort to take these pics. Hope to see pics when you get it back together and working again. :)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:05 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:
mrdeus wrote:Nice photo! So either key would open the lock?

On that shared custody model, yes. On Dual Custody models, then both keys are required to open the lock.

Thank you for the gut shots, Robotnik! Have seen a picture or two a while back, but mostly can only find patent drawings. Appreciate the effort to take these pics. Hope to see pics when you get it back together and working again. :)

Gordon

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I wondered aloud on the other forum how the actuator would stop one side of the lock from opening, or moreover how the actuator works to require two sets of keys.
Do you have any details on how the dual custody version differs? I also wonder what the point is in a lock that has two cylinders of which either can open the lock (surely it's easier to just have one keyway, one lock, and get keys cut for everyone who needs them? Unless there's a way to track who used it like some kind of mechanical audit trail?) but it's still a lovely idea and lock :).
<<

escapenrv

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:49 pm

Some time ago I posted a link to the photos I took of my dual custody Yale padlock when I made keys for it. The link should still work and will be in one of my posts here.
The basic difference is in the cams mounted to the end of each lock plug. The "master" lock has to be operated first. It only moves about 15 degrees. This rotates its cam around just enough to allow the operating lock to turn and open the lock itself.
I could never pick the master side very far and thought it must be damaged. I could never pick the operating side because the master side would not let the plug turn. I was able to get strong enough shim material and shimmed the lock. Once open, I could remove pins and take it apart to make keys.
Nice old lock and a clever design.
Good luck with your new toy......
Steve

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock