FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

old bike "americanino by carnielli" integrated lock

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:25 am

old bike "americanino by carnielli" integrated lock

I saw this bike and was shocked by the steering wheel lock, integrated within the frame. It's super light weight and very clever. I've never seen one on a bike.
I know there's a similar thing that locks the back wheel.
Being someone that uses my bike a lot, I know how annoying is to carry around a chain.
I wonder why these things aren't the standard equipment every bike comes with.

Cheers :)
<<

aeporia

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:52 am

Re: old bike "americanino by carnielli" integrated lock

Damn, that is super cool!

femurat wrote:I wonder why these things aren't the standard equipment every bike comes with.

Taking a stab here, I suspect it’s a few core factors — here are a few that came to mind:

1. Bicycle companies likely lack the expertise of a company dealing in lock systems for many years, meaning they’d have to buddy-up with a lock company in order to integrate a locking system that doesn’t make their product a laughing stock on launch.

2. [related to #1] Integrating a lock means all bikes of type/model X will feature the same lock design, making the attack surface against that bike type very uniform: learn to bypass or pick the lock of bike type X and suddenly every bike of that type becomes an easy target. If integrated into a more expensive/nice bicycle I suspect that information on attacking the lock would spread relatively quickly.

3. Consumer choice on locking systems, and it’d be costly to offer a variety of scaled locking systems.

4. [continuing on that theme] Costs generally.

5. It doesn’t prevent the bike from being carried away physically — someone with a bit of know-how could remove it after physically stealing it.

That said, I reckon there could be a market for this — it’s actually a rather neat intersection of security and usability, providing a bit of a security for great usability (for one, not having to carry a chain and lock with you, as you noted). It doesn’t protect against the general threat of someone rocking up with a truck and throwing the bike on the back to make off with it, but it certainly would stop an attacker from simply riding off with your bike if you were to duck into a store for a few minutes.

Really cool find. Thank-you for sharing. I find that security–usability intersection really interesting, and this is a particularly curious example.

(And a bit of a pity the lock seemingly looks to be just a shitty wafer lock?)
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:58 am

Yep, that's a simple wafer lock. It could have been something better, but keep in mind that's an old bike.

If bicycle companies lack the lock experience, they could buy the lock from a lock company and work around it. It could even be interchangeable or keyed alike your house...

Cheers :)
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:11 am

My old Honda motorcycle had a lock on the front fork. Unless you wanted to drive around in a tiny circle you left my bike alone.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:06 pm

Many mopeds and motorbikes had those. I still have one. Bicycle didn't. That's what puzzles me. It's such an easy, light, cheap, simple and effective solution that I can't understand why it didn't diffuse and evolve.

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock