FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Improved Master 1 teardown

<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:15 am

Improved Master 1 teardown

I purchased a new master lock no. 1 to see if they've made any improvements, and it appears as though they have.

In this image, you can see how they've made it harder to shim - the locking pawl can't be easily pushed back with a shim, and the slot in the shackle is square, so it's not easy to get anything in there.

master_no_shim.jpg

Here, the rivets are inset, so it's harder to get to the bottom of the rivet with a flat file.

master_inset_rivets.jpg

The actuator has been modified so that the bypass tool won't work anymore (I think)

master_actuator.jpg

I think that some cost saving measures have been implemented too - rather than use a C clip to hold the cylinder in place, the case has been deformed to hold the cylinder in.

master_key_and_cylinder.jpg

After I got the cylinder apart, it doesn't appears as though there were any security improvements there. The top pins were all the same. There were low pins and high pins, and I couldn't get it open with 2 seconds of raking like I saw in a youtube video, but it was still easy to open. I should note that the finish on the pins wasn't the greatest either.

master_pins_and_key.jpg

Sadly, their improvements have not made the lock resistant to rapping - I could open the lock with a hammer and a piece of chain. I didn't have any bold cutters handy, so I couldn't check cutting resistance. So it's better, but not great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Malekal

Familiar Face

Post Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:19 am

Re: Improved Master 1 teardown

Nice! Thanks for showing!
Malekal: I guess I'll try... I thought you had to go light
xeo: you do whatever the lock wants
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:13 pm

Great write-up TPark. At least they are making an halfass effort to improve their locks but I still can't believe they didn't throw in at least one or 2 security pins and to overcome the rapping and bumping vulnerabilities. Well it is Master where the consumers ignorance is their bliss.
Last edited by Doogs on Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

Random

Familiar Face

Post Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:00 pm

Well done!
<<

aidenatt

Post Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:51 pm

You know what, I got a new No. 5 a few months back and never actually noticed that it had been improved. Not sure about the internals, but the locking pawl and rivets are the same as what you've posted. Now they just need some spools and they'll be good! (maybe) :mrgreen:
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:31 pm

aidenatt wrote:You know what, I got a new No. 5 a few months back and never actually noticed that it had been improved. Not sure about the internals, but the locking pawl and rivets are the same as what you've posted. Now they just need some spools and they'll be good! (maybe) :mrgreen:

Yeah, I'm a bit surprised that they didn't put a spool or two in there. The rapping weakness can't easily be overcome with their current design - the locking pawl is pushed into the shackle with a spring, so if you can apply force to the pawl the lock will open. In better locks, the locking mechanism can't be pushed back when the lock is locked, so they can't be opened by rapping.

The problem with the rapping attack is that a hammer or something that can be used as a hammer is often reasonably close at hand. I think it might be OK to use master locks for locking items with low value such as the lid to the cardboard recycle bin or maybe plastic lawn chairs, but they shouldn't be used for protecting items of value.
<<

Lauren

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:42 pm

Tpark, now that you have the tear down-Make this....then you'll master the master lock. I haven't tested my tools on these new locks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXKBP3z1-S0
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:54 pm

Lauren wrote:Tpark, now that you have the tear down-Make this....then you'll master the master lock. I haven't tested my tools on these new locks.

Cool bypass tools! I'll have to go get some more locks and try this. I may have been incorrect in saying that the bypass issue has been fixed - couldn't they fix it by making it so you can't push tools into the locking mechanism? They could make the bottom of the actuator solid. Maybe the cost of retooling vs. the benefit of making it resistant to bypass is too great. If master locks were completely immune to bypassing, they have more than enough other weaknesses to still be easily opened.
master_actuator.jpg

master_locking.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Lauren

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:36 pm

Tpark, I see you have the passion. So, now try to make yourself a set of tools that you can call your own. Good luck, and happy posting.
<<

escher7

Post Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:10 am

I have been grinding the rivets off Masters since I was 10. Nice to see it only took them 50 years to recess them. Maybe they will upgrade the pins by 2066.
<<

HT4

Post Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:45 am

Thanks for the information... very interesting.
Check out my "LockPickingLawyer" YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos
<<

Lauren

Post Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:54 pm

I just bought this new model in a No.5. I by-passed it with no problem. By the way, my tool does what Peterson's silver bullets can only half do. Half open is still not open.
<<

Lauren

Post Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:17 pm

Gordon (GWiens2001), here's the solution that I have been looking for making my by-pass tools easier to produce. And, the slender design fits easily in anyone's pick case. I just finished the wire tool a few minutes ago.

<<

Lauren

Post Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:49 pm

tpark wrote:
Lauren wrote:Tpark, now that you have the tear down-Make this....then you'll master the master lock. I haven't tested my tools on these new locks.

Cool bypass tools! I'll have to go get some more locks and try this. I may have been incorrect in saying that the bypass issue has been fixed - couldn't they fix it by making it so you can't push tools into the locking mechanism? They could make the bottom of the actuator solid. Maybe the cost of retooling vs. the benefit of making it resistant to bypass is too great. If master locks were completely immune to bypassing, they have more than enough other weaknesses to still be easily opened.
master_actuator.jpg

Master Lock makes toys, targeting kids with their high school lockers and bicycles. "Looks" are what sells. Until you get into their pro-line the quality doesn't change much. Yes, Tpark there's some simple things they could do to defeat by-pass, but usually the cost to do so is not justified.
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:51 pm

Lauren wrote:
Master Lock makes toys, targeting kids with their high school lockers and bicycles. "Looks" are what sells. Until you get into their pro-line the quality doesn't change much. Yes, Tpark there's some simple things they could do to defeat by-pass, but usually the cost to do so is not justified.

You are correct - I don't think that fixing this particular issue would increase sales. Even if they fixed the bypass issue and the rapping issue and put some spools in there, I can't think of anything additional that I would lock up with these locks.
Next

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock