FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Manifoil - I think it's a Mark 2 (Mk2, Mk ii)

<<

soakes

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:36 pm

Manifoil - I think it's a Mark 2 (Mk2, Mk ii)

Hi everybody. I am a total noob to lock-picking (although I have been interested in keys for a long time and I have a decent collection).
I recently bought a house in which a safe was left behind. The combination lock on the safe is a manifoil. From what I have read on the Internets (and there is precious little about anything before the Mark iv) I believe it is a Mk2 (or possibly Mk3). Obviously I would like to open the safe. Perhaps less obviously I would like to do it without damaging the safe in any way.
Is it possible to "manipulate" this lock? Is it possible for someone without any experience at all to do so? I have plenty of time to do it, but not enough time to have to try out 1,000,000 different combinations.
I would appreciate any thoughts...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:02 pm

Re: Manifoil - I think it's a Mark 2 (Mk2, Mk ii)

Uhh, good luck with that opening by manipulation. The name Manifoil is bacause the lock was designed to foil manipulation.

Would like to find out what model it is, though.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Rumball Solutions

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:47 am

Your best bet is going to getting it opened by someone with an auto-dialler and experience with setting it up for an MP lock.
Remember that it's really a three wheel as the fourth number will be one of four predetermined numbers based on bolt position (0-25-50-75).

Manipulation is possible but you are looking at a very elite group there.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:07 pm

That logo makes it look like it's a Pac-Manifoil.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:36 pm

So give a cherry, and it will eat the ghosts, and then auto-dial the combination. :D

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:43 pm

MBI wrote:That logo makes it look like it's a Pac-Manifoil.

L O L
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Rumball Solutions

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:07 pm

Lol :agree:

(Chubb Manifoil, so gives some indication of era)
<<

soakes

Post Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:54 pm

OK, so I gave it a cherry... and I tried all the default codes that I could find. No luck. Does anyone here actually know anything about manifoils pre-Mk4?
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:26 pm

soakes wrote:.....Does anyone here actually know anything about manifoils pre-Mk4?

I know they're beautiful locks... beyond that I'm not much help :( Sorry. Welcome to the forum!!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

oldlock

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:56 pm

Either sit and look at a locked safe.

or

Call a professional out.

There is no easy DIY solution.
Bramah Australasia
http://www.bramah.com.au

The above link has been approved by the site admin.
<<

Rumball Solutions

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:10 am

I know enough about manifoils to know that you will have a very hard time opening it. Many regular users still struggle with the dialing sequence and they have very little tolerance. You will need to be directly over the operating mark to align it correctly.

There is a reason that manifoils were fitted to government containers here in Australia (still are in some cases). It is challenging lock for experienced locksmiths and safe techs, so it's going to be quite a stretch for a novice.

There is no "easy" way with a manifoil. You either find someone who can manipulate one (rare), knows his to set up their dialler for one (not rare, but there will only be one or two in Melbourne) or you get someone who can drill and repair with minimal damage (there are ways, but that is not a conversation to be had here).

Is the lock actually already open? Old safes can be unlocked but seized. Either by virtue of corrosion or grease hardening on the bolt work.

If you want a DIY project you are going to have to learn a lot of fundamentals before you are ready to tackle this project with any semblance of professionalism.

You may want to consider posting in the public enquiry area of an Australian professional locksmith forum (try Locksmith Trader Forum) if you are serious about engaging a professional within Australia or getting some background on your lock and safe.

Listen to oldlock, he actually knows what he is talking about. :agree:
<<

soakes

Post Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:06 pm

Rumball Solutions wrote:I know enough about manifoils to know that you will have a very hard time opening it.

Yes, I well and truly realise this.

Is the lock actually already open?

No.

If you want a DIY project you are going to have to learn a lot of fundamentals before you are ready to tackle this project with any semblance of professionalism.

Right... but where to get started? If it takes me years to open this lock, I would consider it a worthwhile hobby. I would like to obtain a combination lock similar to this manifoil so that I can experiment with it, but it seems they are extremely hard to find.

I don't doubt it, but he has only outlined 2 of the possible approaches ;-)

Does anyone know, even vaguely, what is the difference between a Mk4 and an earlier manifoil?
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:23 pm

soakes wrote:
Rumball Solutions wrote:I know enough about manifoils to know that you will have a very hard time opening it.

Yes, I well and truly realise this.

Is the lock actually already open?

No.

Right... but where to get started? If it takes me years to open this lock, I would consider it a worthwhile hobby. I would like to obtain a combination lock similar to this manifoil so that I can experiment with it, but it seems they are extremely hard to find.

I don't doubt it, but he has only outlined 2 of the possible approaches ;-)

Does anyone know, even vaguely, what is the difference between a Mk4 and an earlier manifoil?

I might have a source in the UK for the locks if you would like me to ask about them. I think most of the differences are just shielding and lead plating etc.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

soakes

Post Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:28 pm

Riyame wrote:
I might have a source in the UK for the locks if you would like me to ask about them. I think most of the differences are just shielding and lead plating etc.

Thanks. I would appreciate any insights at all. I simply cannot find any information about manifoils predating Mk4!
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:55 pm

soakes wrote:
Riyame wrote:

Thanks. I would appreciate any insights at all. I simply cannot find any information about manifoils predating Mk4!

Well, a source for Mk 4 locks. There isnt a lot of info on previous ones because of what the were used for and the time period when they were removed from service. :(
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Next

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock