FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

S&G 8065 padlock operation

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:10 pm

S&G 8065 padlock operation

Decided it was time to make a post on operating the 8065 shackleless padlock from Sargent and Greenleaf. Older lock not in use anymore, and rather fiddly to get it to work if you are not familiar with it. So let's see how it works!

This is the lock with packaging, instructions, mounting screws and change key. (Last two items listed are still in the box).

From the front:

the side...

And back...

Now this lock does NOT use the same change key as the model 1951, 8088 or 8077 locks. Not even similar.

Will show how to use the change key later. Here is the instruction sheet that comes with the lock.

This is the push button. This is an important part. Lock will not work without using this sucker.

OK, operation of the lock. The factory combination for the 8065 is 10-20-30 (then turn to zero). The dialing for unlocking is the same as a 1951, 8088 or 8077. Dialing directions are the same as a normal S&G safe lock.

Start by turning the dial counter-clockwise until the first number of the combination (10) comes up to the opening index for the fourth time.

Now turn the dial clockwise until the second number of the combination (20) comes up to the opening index for the third time.

Turn the dial counter-clockwise until the third number of the combination (30) comes up to the opening index for the second time.

Now turn the dial clockwise directly to 0.

Here is where the that push button comes in (for the first time in this tutorial). Push the button in fully, then release it fully.

Now turn the dial clockwise until it stops turning.

What is happening when you are turning the dial clockwise this time (if you have entered the correct combination) is seen on the back. The locking bolt is retracting.

This is the locking bolt in the locked position.

Half way...

And unlocked!

To show how truly amazing this write-up is, you can look at the last three pictures in reverse order, and see what happens if you turn the dial counter-clockwise after unlocking the lock. It relocks! Will wonders never cease? :mrgreen:

Now how to change the combination. First, you must remove the lock from the shoe. From the what, you ask? Read on, oh fearless lock enthusiasts, and you will see.

Enter the combination the same way you did to unlock the padlock. 10-20-30-0, push the button fully in, the release it fully. Now push the button in so it is about halfway between the two red stripes on the push button. Hold the button there!

While holding the button there, turn the dial counter-clockwise until the dial either stops or starts turning easily. (The lock might do either).

Lift up on the lock, and it slides out of the shoe. (Now you can see what the shoe is!!!)

As a side note, there are three mounting screws that come with the lock that secure the shoe to the filing cabinet. Those would fit in the beveled holes in the shoe. The square hole we will address in a moment.

Here is the back of the lock now that it is removed from the shoe. The small round part is what holds it in the shoe. The funny shaped hole is the change key hole.

While the lock is secured in the shoe, that stud sticks out into the square hole of the shoe.

When you have followed the above instructions, the stud retracts flush with the back of the lock.

Well now, we are progressing nicely, aren't we?

Ready to use the change key? Not yet you aren't! Dial in the same combination as you use to open the lock, but dial it to the change index instead of the opening index.

0 (Yes, you have to use the 0 number, too).

Insert the change key..

... and turn it counter-clockwise.

You then dial the combination to whatever you want it to be. Do this the same way as you did to open the lock, but using the change index... NOT THE OPENING INDEX! Sorry for yelling, but it is important.

Now remove the change key by turning it clockwise removing.

This next step is vitally important, so do not skip it. Dial the combination to the change index and see if the change key will go fully into the change key hole and turn. If so, good. Try it a couple more times. Still works? Great, you are ready to reassemble. If not, you can try looking into the change key hole while you dial the combination and get it right.

OK, assuming the combination works, let's put the lock back into the shoe.

Now enter the combination to the change index (ending the combination by turning to 0, like above).

Press the button down fully, and release it fully. Turn the dial right until it stops.

Now the lock will feel like it is bound up, and you will think you have screwed up the lock. If so, you probably did the same thing wrong I did the first time, and the lock is trashed. Just kidding. There is nothing wrong. You will have to turn the dial back and forth firmly three or four times for the lock to release the dial. Then everything is fine. But as I panicked when it happened to me the first time, and it does it on all four of these locks I have played with, it must be normal. And did not want you to freak out.

So now you know how to work these locks. Quite a bit different than an 8088!

Hope you didn't mind looking at so many pics of a dial.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:18 pm

Re: S&G 8065 padlock operation

Holy cow, nice writeup.

That lock looks like it was made yesterday. Even the box is in great shape.
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:13 pm

Thank you very much for this writeup, super useful as I have one of these coming from eBay soon... Along with an 8088 :D.
Awesome stuff and very well written. I'd +1 if I could!
<<

Malekal

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:17 pm

Same here! +2!
Malekal: I guess I'll try... I thought you had to go light
xeo: you do whatever the lock wants
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:54 pm

I used to teach government folks how to change their combinations. About the second time they dialed to the wrong index I would cover the opening index with a small piece of a post-it note. If they can't see it, they can't dial to it! It works very well to prevent accidentally dialing to the wrong index and screwing up your change. If you don't dial these with some regularity there is nothing intuitive about it.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

DroppedTensionWrench

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:55 pm

Great information on the 8065. Really enjoyed the 1951/8088 comparison too. Good quality photos. S&G combo locks are fascinating!
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:19 pm

Reading this thread again, realized an important omission. Really should point out that while you see pictures of the lock lying on its back on the table, the lock will not work in that position. The lock was that way in the pictures because it will not sit upright on the table for pictures like a nice, well behaved lock. The back of the lock must be perpendicular to the table, floor or whatever.

If you dial the correct combination, press the button, and turn the dial to retract the shackle (or withdraw the post that holds the lock in the shoe), the dial will keep turning just as if you had entered the wrong combination.

So if you are trying this lock out, be sure not to have it flat on the table. :wink:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock