FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Making A Key For A Junkunc Chain Lock

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:38 pm

Making A Key For A Junkunc Chain Lock

A friend has a Junkunc chain lock, but no key. So took the time to make one. This is the lock.

Not exactly a large lock. But not the smallest Junkunc. Here it is with a United States quarter and a 1 Euro coin, so those on both sides of the pond have a size reference.

This lock looks similar to the 'wavy' key dual-sided wafer locks that have been around for quite a while. But this is not the same. First of all, there are no springs. The wafers are also a bit further apart. Unfortunately, don't know if this lock can be taken apart. (If you know, go ahead and post how it is done here, please).

These locks can not really be impressioned with an entire blank, since the key goes into a window inside the wafer. So you need to know what the key looks like if you can't get it apart. First step would be to pick the lock. (Not exactly rocket science picking these). Raimundo's Bogota set came out of my wallet, and a few seconds later, the lock was open.

Now that the plug is turned, the wafers are held in place, and will not move up or down. I tried to feel the heights with a pick and tried to file a key from the estimate of how the key would work, and guess what!?!? It failed. :( Oh well, guess we got to do this the hard way. :?

With the plug turned, even the correct key will not go into the lock. So took a small flat steel key and worked on one half of the key. Cut the key blank height down until it fits in one side of the keyway.

Now cut a bevel on the side where the center warding of the keyway is located, on the side of the key that faces away from the wafers you are trying to copy.

Now that you have the bevel cut, put the key into the lock at an angle so it fits over the warding, reaching in only as far as the first wafer so you know you have the height and angle of the bevel right.

Then turn it to be sure it can make the turn to fit flush in the keyway.

OK, that works. Now put the key full depth in the keyway. (Minds out of the gutter, guys).

Now if you turn the key, even though it looks like it goes all the way, it won't.

Why not? Because the wafers are held in place since the plug is turned a bit. NOW, you can impression one side of the lock. Ink the blade of the key, insert at an angle, turn it until it is stopped by the wafers, then jiggle it lightly. Pull it out and read the marks.

File where you see the marks.

Re-ink the blade.

Repeat until you don't get marks.

Again, this lock does not have springs. So hold the lock so the side you are trying to impression is facing up, turn the plug back to the locked position, insert the key, and tap the side of the lock a little to allow the wafers to drop against the key.

Apply turning pressure, and...

No, that was not my first attempt with the 'half key'. But that is the half key working.

Now, you do the same thing on the other side, right? Nope!

Copy the half key onto the correct half of the real blank.

Then use the half key facing the same direction as on the first side. Then it is a pattern for the mirror image.

Hurray!

Now you try it!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Making A Key For A Junkunc Chain Lock

use a half key, flip it around and copy the mirror image! why didn't i think of that!!!! genius! nice job
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:45 pm

Don't flip it! Then the two sides are the same, and the key won't fit into the lock. Just slide it down. ;)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:48 pm

Great write up as always Gordon.
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:49 am

This guy Gordon never stops amazing. I had a nice long battle with one of these double wafer locks and cracked my head thinking how to copy that onto a key until I realized I can buy a new core with keys for $5 but thats never the same as making a working key. Gordon, thanks for this write up mate.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:02 am

You are a legend!!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:23 pm

Nice work Gordon.
That's not exactly a "typical" lock impressioning job.
I am... impressed!

Thanks for documenting it so well and taking such great pics.
<<

spuds

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:12 pm

Nice Gordon
Even Duct tape can't fix stupid But it can muffle the sound ! ;-)
Jim
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:21 am

I never updated this post, but that lock is now in my collection. :D

Gordon
<<

namggey

Familiar Face

Post Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:47 pm

Great series of pictures!
<<

gnarus8429

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:05 am

Very nice.
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
-Albert Einstein

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock