FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Vintage Yale rekeyed (updated)

<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:37 am

Vintage Yale rekeyed (updated)

Rekeyed a vintage Yale lock last night.

This lock actually took a Kwikset KW1 key blank whick I used a precut Defiant key and used .003 key pins. i left the springs and top pins stock. Unfortunately I bent the body pins when replacing them so they aren't quite flush on one side and I don't have any replacement rod to make new ones so that will be for another day.

I should of taken pics of the dis-assembly as this lock is different than others I've done as there is a steel plate screwed to the side of the plug as a retainer and a 1/2 long set screw which limits the amount of plug rotation. I would of liked to make this a 6 pin as there was a 6th pin cavity in the body for such. (No 6 pin keys or blanks}. I have two more of these locks to rekey so hopefully one of them will be similar.
Last edited by Doogs on Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:58 am

Re: Vintage Yale rekeyed

Nice. :) Did you drill or punch the pins for disassembly?

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:35 pm

Hi Gord:

I used a 3/32 brass punch to knock them out and it went well but I bent the punch putting the pins back in. One pin went in a litlle skewed when I tried to replace it so I switched to a 3/32 steel roll pin punch to finish.
Looking at the other two yales I see ones been disassembled before so not sure how easy the rekeying will go on that one might have to drill.

GWiens2001 wrote:Nice. :) Did you drill or punch the pins for disassembly?

Gordon
Last edited by Doogs on Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:45 pm

Thanks to Jeff Moss I now know the correct blank (Y4) for these Yale locks so I will pick some brass blanks up and try my hand at antiquing them to give them a nice original look. I do have 3 precut originals coming but not sure if they are Y4's.

<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:15 pm

Just to clarify, Y4 is the master blank for the Yale G series, I am not 100 percent sure which sectional keyway your lock uses, but the Y4 should fit.
One of the guys I follow on YouTube did a nice series of videos disassembling/rekeying/reassembling these padlocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSxL0UU ... U8zxBpvzvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uboFK1V ... U8zxBpvzvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvLUSfh ... U8zxBpvzvQ
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:10 pm

Doogs wrote:Rekeyed a vintage Yale lock last night.

This lock actually took a Kwikset KW1 key blank whick I used a precut Defiant key and used .003 key pins. i left the springs and top pins stock. Unfortunately I bent the body pins when replacing them so they aren't quite flush on one side and I don't have any replacement rod to make new ones so that will be for another day.

I should of taken pics of the dis-assembly as this lock is different than others I've done as there is a steel plate screwed to the side of the plug as a retainer and a 1/2 long set screw which limits the amount of plug rotation. I would of liked to make this a 6 pin as there was a 6th pin cavity in the body for such. (No 6 pin keys or blanks}. I have two more of these locks to rekey so hopefully one of them will be similar.

Why not just cut the shoulder on your 5-pin key back one cut?
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:49 pm

jones wrote:
Why not just cut the shoulder on your 5-pin key back one cut?

Hi Jones:
Admittedly I could of done that but the warding wasn't cut back quite far enough and I would of been into the bow and doing some milling for it to work. When I get the Y4 blanks I may rekey it again anyway. It's good practice.

<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:13 pm

Yale # 2 rekey

I decided to jump the gun and rekey the second Yale using another precut K1 key. This one required some modification as the back of the key (spine?) was a little heavy. I also ended up using Schlage pins in order to get a smother action as the Kwikset pins were a little tight and I didn't want to file the bittings and screw up the duplication process later (no biggie I know). It's all good practice I figure. On to the pics.

Removing the guts

Houston we have separation

Disassembly complete

This ones for Riy! or why the ^%#*&%^$&* can't I pick this lock. Note the pin at the top of the stack it's a small format pin that was in #5. The spring was also missing and I didn't get a successful pick until I turned the lock upside down allowing it to fall into the chamber (almost 2 hours later).

Pinned and plug inserted checking for operability

Completed

A nice pair if I say so myself. If you look closely you should be able to see what's left of the spring between the two shackles.

Now onto #3

<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:35 pm

Congratulations, few people would allow their curiousity to take them this far
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:24 am

Re: Vintage Yale rekeyed (updated)

Very nice. I wish you had included a picture of the keyway, I'm curious as to what keyway it really is. Also, when removing the pins that hold the lock body together, they are designed to go only one direction. There is a very slight "bell shape" on one end ( the pin is larger, very hard to see). It is enough to keep the pins from going the wrong way. Also pay attention to which way the pins come out, as they need to go back in the same way.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:22 am

Here you go:

femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:16 pm

mastersmith wrote:Very nice. I wish you had included a picture of the keyway, I'm curious as to what keyway it really is. Also, when removing the pins that hold the lock body together, they are designed to go only one direction. There is a very slight "bell shape" on one end ( the pin is larger, very hard to see). It is enough to keep the pins from going the wrong way. Also pay attention to which way the pins come out, as they need to go back in the same way.

Here's that pic Mastersmith:

All three of these locks have the identical keyway.
I see Jeff beat me to it..damn he's quick. That or he's lurking my Photobucket acct checking out the NSFW's
Last edited by Doogs on Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:51 pm

Amazing work mate. I was always curious how they made these locks and now I know. Great work!!!

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock