FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

kaba score from the garbage can

<<

quabillion

Familiar Face

Post Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:37 pm

kaba score from the garbage can

So at work i saw the door shop had thrown away an old door. It had the mortise lock still installed. I asked the door shop manager about it and he said that a customer brought it in for us to perfectly match up the new one to it. Once that was finished and the customer picked up the new one the old one was tossed into the huge dumpster out back of the shop. I wanted the lock to pick on and to then toss into the collection, so i got a screwdriver and pulled it out. i took a look at the keyway and though it looked kinda odd. I went up front to our key duplicating machine to try to find a blank that fit, but to no avail. I went to a local lockie on my lunch break in search of some blanks. When i told him what i wanted he looked at the keyway and went in the back room. He came back with the right blank in the lock. I smiled and said man thats great, ill take 2 please. He said no way because this is a restricted keyway by kaba (LC2 keyway IIRC). He then wanted to know where i got this lock and what the hell i was trying to do with blanks. After explaining the situation he said that the only way i could buy a blank would be for me to have a notarized letter from the previous owner transferring ownership to me. He said that he was the only kabba dealer in town so i would have no choice but to do business with him, he also mentioned that the cores cost about $130 each. So i return to work and set about finding the customers name that brought in that door. Turns out that it was a local Baptist church. I mentioned all this to our lock guy, he says that he can prolly get me some blanks without all the fuss that the lockie wanted. he called a different lockie and that guy said sure no problem. he is gonna come by in the morning to drop of the blanks for $6 each. lol score. Once i get the blanks and make the cuts ill stop back by that first lock shop to show off my handy work and to let him know that the security on his blanks is not quite as good as he was led to believe. I picked the lock yesterday and was surprised at how easy it was until i rotated the plug about 30 degrees and it locked up on me. After much confusion and cussing i used a bright light to look into the keyway and i could see what looked like side or finger pins, 2 on the left and one on the right. Played around with them for a bit with the pick and got the plug freed up. I gutted the thing and found that the front 2 drivers will fall into 2 depressions if the side pins are not pushed out enough by the key. kinda clever but easily defeated. I dont have pics of the gutting right now as i forgot to take any, ill have some tomorrow when i begin the key making process. Does anyone know what the model of this lock is?

Last edited by quabillion on Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem,
first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply surrounded by assholes." William Gibson
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:42 pm

Re: kabba score from the garbage can

Based upon your description it is a Kaba Peaks, nice find! Not sure about the mortise lock itself though.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

quabillion

Familiar Face

Post Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:48 pm

Re: kabba score from the garbage can

kaba peaks eh? cool :)
first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply surrounded by assholes." William Gibson
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:04 pm

Re: kaba score from the garbage can

Now that I think about it, it's probably Vertex/L10...here is a cylinder I have:

GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

quabillion

Familiar Face

Post Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:05 pm

that is the exact keyway. hard to tell in my pics because my camera sucks.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:08 pm

FREEEEE! :D
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:10 pm

Great score, QB!!! Congrats!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:47 pm

The letters 'ATJ' on the keybow are the keyway designation.
<<

escapenrv

Familiar Face

Post Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:11 am

Great find...and the price was right. Thanks for sharing.
Steve
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:39 am

Sweet find. My building management changed 6 or so door a month back and my super saved them all for me. Grabbed the drill and gutted all of the doors. No such great finds like here but I did get about 12 or so rim/mortise's to practice on. The worst part is that there was a very old lock, similar to a skeleton key in size but different cuts (rare different) which I stupidly throw out thinking I had no use for it but that was before I got onto KP. Since that day, I checked almost all of the door remaining in the building and they mostly all have Mul-T-Locks and other good stuff so Im waiting for management to get to them :) but super find!!!! and great picking
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:32 pm

oh thats a pretty cool lock! i shall add it to my list :D
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

quabillion

Familiar Face

Post Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:26 am

still no blanks in my hand yet, even though the guy says he has them and will come by to drop them off. hell i would pay a bit extra just to get him to hurry up because im ready to get this project going asap.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:22 pm

How do you plan to cut the blanks once you get them?
<<

quabillion

Familiar Face

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:15 pm

ill just use a file. I have been shaping keys with a file for many years now and i have become pretty good at it, plus i have many different files to suit the job. of course a machine with a set of D and S blanks would be very handy and better looking though.

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock