FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Oxford Enigma

<<

decsec

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:06 pm

Oxford Enigma

For several month now a oxford enigma (rotating disc / disc detainer lock) lies on my desk. When I tried to pick it (yesterday), I quickly realized that there must some "extra security mechanism". The lock has only 6 active discs, no fakes and on the first position not a number 6/0 disc (but this is not important).

When every disc is set to the correct position, the core doesn't rotate. There are no magnets or special features on the key.
On the bottom is some kind of a ball, but it will not move.

To try something, I filed down a little bit from the tip of the key, but not enough so that the key won't work.
With this modified key the lock does not open.
It seems that the ball is pushed into the core after 90° and in case there is no material that pushes the ball back out of the core - it blocks. But this is only what I guess.

Anyone who has experience with this lock?

Regards
Laurence
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: Oxford Enigma

I have no experience with it but it sounds interesting. I look forward to seeing what you can find out about them.
<<

decsec

Post Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:40 pm

.... No extra mechanism. Lock did not opened because the drill protection disc has gates.

If one is using a tool like the one from Jaakko, you can open a dd lock even with a non 6/0/tension disc at the first position.
When all discs are set correct, use the tip for tension on a real 6 and rotate back the tensioner until the lock is open.

But in this case, every time you turn the tensioner counter clockwise the drill protection disc moves out of the unlocked position.

oxford-enigma-dp-disc.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:02 pm

decsec wrote:.... No extra mechanism. Lock did not opened because the drill protection disc has gates.

If one is using a tool like the one from Jaakko, you can open a dd lock even with a non 6/0/tension disc at the first position.
When all discs are set correct, use the tip for tension on a real 6 and rotate back the tensioner until the lock is open.

But in this case, every time you turn the tensioner counter clockwise the drill protection disc moves out of the unlocked position.

oxford-enigma-dp-disc.jpg

I mentioned that technique to Jaakko a while ago. It works on many disc detainers, you can even use it to pick a top/bottom tensioning disc detainer even if you are supposed to be using the opposite tool...if that makes sense?

I recently found out that the Abloy Classic can also come with randomised driver discs. So it used to be the front disc, then Abloy changed it due to the Finnish pervert with his Vempele. Officially, all of them now are rear tensioning when they leave the factory but I have heard of the driver disc being swapped around (probably afterwards) to be anywhere. But again, you can use the pick head to tension a 0 disc and the tensioner to rotate to wherever when required. Luckily, it is a feature of picking Abloy Classic (and many disc detainers) that groups of discs bind at once instead of the more binary way a pin tumbler will bind up. Which makes it possible to leave a particular disc until last no matter when it would normally bind. Mostly.

Return to Disc Detainer Locks