FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

recommendations?

<<

madsamurai

Post Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:42 pm

recommendations?

So I finally got the new DD lock pick from Sparrows that LPL and Bosnian Bill put together, so I want to dig into disc detainer locks... unfortunately I don't have any yet (well, actually I have a couple but they're both rear-disc tensioned). Would like to start with something that isn't ridiculously hard, but don't really want to go stupid easy either... Any suggestions where to start? What are some of your favorite practice locks that can be opened with front disc tension?
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:57 pm

Re: recommendations?

I think the standard Chinese type is a good start to get a feeling. They are not stupid easy like waver locks where you stick something in, wiggle a bit and the lock is open.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

madsamurai

Post Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:19 pm

Yeah, I'm going to order a couple random chinese locks tonight to get started with... what would you consider to be the "intermediate" range, or the equivalent of moving up to spool pins in a pin tumbler?

Also, I'll be ordering one of your Silver Bullets in a few weeks, too... it's finally next on my looooong wishlist of tools :)
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:38 pm

Actually I have picked with my pick only different Chinese ones (open key way and butterfly key way) and the AVA, which is not really a disc detainer. I do have a FMT lock here, which is a slightly modified copy of the Abloy Classic. It has one warding disc, which doesn't turn, and undefined false gates. The Abloy Classic has really defined false gates. The FMT could be a next step from the Chinese, but I don't think it will be easy to get. You could look through LPLs disc detainer videos and select from them one, which he got open quickly.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

edocdab

Familiar Face

Post Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:45 pm

I am no expert, but have and picked a few. The tool is really great, I think. You just have to treat it as a precision tool.

On the locks, it helps to check the keys. If it is a butterfly disc key, it's probably a better lock. You can count the discs approximately also from the key and see how the discs are spaced. It tells you a lot about the quality and a bit about pick resistance.

I have some of the chinese cheap locks, which are fun but easy. They tension from the rear, but the dd pick makes short work of that anyway. Doesn't cost much and it's fun.

I have some of Lidl (Parkside branded, I think), which is a supermaket chain that sells different hardware every week. They were as cheap but have false gates and more discs. Much more fun to pick but careful not to break the pick when in a false gate.

I have an axa bicycle lock that has spinners with gates and plenty false gates in the normal discs. Fun to pick but certainly more difficult.

I have two much higher quality locks in the naughty bucket because of many spinners, tensioning from a random disc and discs very deep in the lock. One of those I think I can open with my home made front tensioner pick or with the sparrows pick if I modify the tensioner, or make a new tensioner.

Don't be too afraid of a lock you can't open. The harder locks actually give so much better feedback that you learn quicker.

I'm not in the USA, but you can also check people like Albert Lebel on youtube. He has a lot of dd videos and recommendations on locks and he is based in the usa. https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCSkq1SxMwDFYD6nQaVHF6-Q
My youtube channel: https://youtube.com/c/edocdab
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:48 pm

madsamurai wrote:Yeah, I'm going to order a couple random chinese locks tonight to get started with... what would you consider to be the "intermediate" range, or the equivalent of moving up to spool pins in a pin tumbler?

Also, I'll be ordering one of your Silver Bullets in a few weeks, too... it's finally next on my looooong wishlist of tools :)

I can't see this and let it lie :D For the record, the Silver Bullet is my tool, unless you mean a different one?
<<

edocdab

Familiar Face

Post Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:31 am

Hux, the silver bullet pick is by you, as we all know! Perhaps Martin sells those anti-werewolf things?
<<

madsamurai

Post Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:43 am

huxleypig wrote:
madsamurai wrote:Yeah, I'm going to order a couple random chinese locks tonight to get started with... what would you consider to be the "intermediate" range, or the equivalent of moving up to spool pins in a pin tumbler?

I can't see this and let it lie :D For the record, the Silver Bullet is my tool, unless you mean a different one?

LOL, sorry, I knew that... sometimes I get confused :)
<<

madsamurai

Post Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:08 pm

good lord these things are frustrating to get the hang of... I'm thinking a stupid easy one would actually be really nice right about now.
<<

least

Familiar Face

Post Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:32 pm

I'd say look at some hardware stores and search for cheap "high security" locks - there are many re-branded generic disc detainers that share the same core and weaknesses...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI_09j-b84I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh_dLcVabaI

I have two of those and they can be picked easily...
A few recommendations if I may...
Avoid the death-grip I used when picking them first; there are no springs, so if you loosen the tension for a moment, nothing will spring back like in pin tumblers. Also make sure that you have the "probe" as straight as possible - I like to start from the bottom, because if it is straight there, then you are OK... The gate entry on those locks is very distinctive (if the disc binds at all), it is not something to miss easily...
Hope it helps,

Michal
<<

madsamurai

Post Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:02 pm

Thanks, Michal... I actually had a bit of success today, finally. Two of the random locks I bought are rear-disc, but I was able to finally pick them using the keys as a guide, and I'm finally getting the hang of staying on the discs and not slipping off into oblivion so much. The sets are pretty subtle, definitely not what I would call 'clicks' but I can recognize them now... and shifting tension to the back disc and turning the front disc into position takes some practice to just hold things right. I have to do it all in a vice, holding in my hand just wasn't happening at all. But overall, I feel a little better about it all today. I also have a Master bike lock I've been trying to work, which is also rear-disc (am I using the right terminology here?) and I was able to pick it once so far with the chinese rear-tension pick, but with the Sparrows tensioning from the front disc I can't feel anything at all.

The other two locks I bought are Anchor Las padlocks, which looked right in the pics, but they have a different style key with a single-side bitting and smaller rectangular keyway with a 'warded' corner, so this pick won't fit in. Trying to figure these out based on amazon product pics isn't working so well.

Death-grip is definitely a factor, just trying to keep it straight is challenging... an aluminum spacer helps a lot with that. Mostly just need to practice more, not so much for feel but for the general mechanics of using it... turning wants to go up or down, slipping off a disc can leave me completely lost sometimes, and I keep finding myself on a different disc than the one I thought I was on or clear on the other end... it's definitely tougher than it looks, but I'll get it :)
<<

edocdab

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:13 am

Sounds like progress. Congratulations!

For the lock without feedback, I have similar experience and can say two things from that:
It helps to turn all the discs together as much in the opening direction as they will go. That puts some of them in gates, probably.

Second, I had a lock that almost told me nothing, but by trying to feel very ,very subtle changes I did get feedback. Using that to set discs approximately in some gate, the feedback started to increase and I am close to opening that tough lock now. (I can pretty much feel the difference between false and true gates, just didn't have time).

I expect the sidebar to be mostly jammed between core and bible, barely pushing on the discs. But clearly one disc touched it last and it's detectable. Then letting go of tension to release the jammed sidebar after some disc(s) are repositioned seems to help.

Just my limited experience. I'm no Daz Evers, but it might help somebody.
<<

Kezo

Familiar Face

Post Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:49 pm

The Kryptonite Keeper is a pretty good lock to practice on. Try to use light to medium tension and it pops open pretty quick. Applying heavy tension gave me feedback that felt like false gates.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kryptonite-Kee ... SwhqVfKBEc

Return to Disc Detainer Locks