FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

noob locksmithing mistake

<<

chronos_cambridge

Familiar Face

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:30 am

noob locksmithing mistake

I accidentally tried pulling a cylinder straight out without turning it - now the driver and key pins are jammed in some configuration that makes the cylinder impossible to pull or turn.

I can't pop the cover off and remove the drivers - might be SOL here, but if someone knows a technique for rescuing the lock I'd really appreciate the advice!
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:31 am

Re: noob locksmithing mistake

Pull the plug forward to apply tension, and pick it again.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

NNFAK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:02 am

Yeah I did the same thing when I started taking locks apart. Do you have a plug follower or anything like that? After you did what xeo said if you don't have anything behind it those pins might go everywhere because of the springs so be careful.
<<

jailersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:26 am

I'll send you a plug follower and some shims with the plug spinner. Don't forget to lift the last pin(s) that dropped at the rear of the plug as well. It allows the plug follower to fit flush with the plug.
Last edited by jailersmith on Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:36 am

I would venture a guess there is not a locksmith alive who has not done this at least once.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:42 am

Yep, this isn't the first or last time you will have to figure this one out. The other day I was in a hurry, pinned a bunch of house locks, I was trying the keys I made and on one lock I didn't put the retainer on the back, well, there goes the plug, and springs and pins.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.

Return to HELP!!!!!