FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

1950s cabinet is locked

<<

stargazer

Post Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:54 pm

1950s cabinet is locked

I inherited an 1950s cabinet which uses a skeleton key. Unfortunately the key did not come with the cabinet and it is locked. The locksmiths in my area are either unfamiliar with this type of lock and won't come out or are too costly to even try with no guarantee of opening it or without breaking something. Could you please advise me on how to open it? Thank you.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:58 pm

Re: 1950s cabinet is locked

Welcome to the forum. I have moved your post to a better area as you are not a sponsor so you should not be posting in that area.

Please include some pictures so we can actually know what you are talking about but be aware that you may not be helped with locks in use.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:59 pm

Many of these take a standard key. What kind of cabinet is it? Can you post a picture? The more information you offer, the better the odds we can help.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

stargazer

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:37 pm

Hi, thank you for replying. Per your request, I've enclosed three pictures one shows most of the cabinet and the other two are views of one of the locks, there are three. Thank you for all your help. The locksmiths in my area are either too expensive or don't know how to work on this type of lock. Thanks again!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Visitor

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:49 am

If you are asking for a skeleton key that's where you are going wrong.
Its unlikely you will pick up and learn how to open a cabinet lever lock without any experience in short time or even from advice given on a forum.
Your best bet is to try thin plastic to slide in and open the bolts on double doors then gently force them open as a pair, on single doors again using care try to gently force the door away from the frame and open. Use somthing wide so you don't mark the door or frame.
If you want no damage and working keys you'll need to pay a locksmith, I've no idea where you are but in the UK you'll be looking at less than £100.
That said the locks are next to nothing to replace so destroying the locks and changing them is your easiest option if forcing the doors doesn't work.
If you insist on trying to pick them you need to research lever lock picking and forget the term skeleton key.
<<

stargazer

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:18 am

Thank you for your suggestions. I looked into having a locksmith. They either had no expertise in this type of lock and didn't want to try or their cost was by the hour with no guarantee of results or damage. They also said it would be a trial and error. The service calls are about $75 USD and then they charge an hourly rate in addition to their service call. I also asked for a maximum price and no one would not give me one. I also took one who said he could possible help a picture and he's the one who said it was a skeleton key. I apologize for the miss information. You had said these locks are widely available. Would you know where I could possibly pickup one should mine break? Also would you please be more specific on your instructions? Where does the plastic go? Is it above the lock and on the door frame? Thank you for all your help!
<<

Visitor

Post Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:00 pm

The plastic would go through any double doors and bend round to flick the bolt up on a fixed door, if you only have single doors with a lock it's of no use to you.

Unfortunatley it does sound like the people you have tried are clueless. By the way a skeleton key would be a key used for a warded lever lock that has been wasted away so it misses the wards of multiple warded locks and as such act more like what we know these days as a master key but for lever locks.

Ebay is your friend for replacement locks, maybe get a new one to see how they work and how you could open them, I am willing to help as you don't seem to be a one post leech like so many others, the locks are known as cupboard locks and are a simple lever lock, depending on how cheap the ones you have are they may even be unlockable by a loosely fitting key blank.

I will need to have a search for the most helpful threads explaining how these work and if nothing out there I will need to do you some pictures, once you understand how they are constructed and work we should be able to get you open.

Edit, I've looked around here and there's nothing really if use that I can find, I'll find a lock out and do you a quick guide but give me a day or two to sort it out.
<<

stargazer

Post Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:59 am

Thank you so much! I'll be checking ebay as well to see if I could find a key. Not sure how much they are, but they must be better than the locksmiths. Have a fantastic weekend and Happy Halloween.
<<

Visitor

Post Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:13 am

Sorry I've been so busy lately not had any time to sort you anything out, get a key that almost fits from your local key cutter and file it so it can turn in the lock and you will likely find with a small amount of jiggling or a bit more filing that the lock will open. When I get some free time I will follow up on my earlier offer.

Return to HELP!!!!!