FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Help - Re-Assembling Abloy 330 (sentry keyway)

<<

Roy

Post Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:39 pm

Re: Help - Re-Assembling Abloy 330 (sentry keyway)

GWiens2001 wrote:How can you stick the grub screw in with the shackle closed?

Gordon

Sorry, meant to say inserted it before closing shackle, lined the bar up with the slot in the padlock body after spending an age keeping the balls in place, all seemed well until I removed the key and now it won't unlock

Am I looking at a paper weight now :slam:
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:04 pm

Oops! Sorry to hear that. Next time, test the key in the carrier to be sure the gates line up under the sidebar, and also test it after assembly, but without installing the grub screw. If the key does not work, you will still be able to unscrew the retaining ring and disassemble the lock.

But don't feel too bad. All of us have bricked a lock at least once in our lives. As you gain experience, you will be able to 'unbrick' some of those locks.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:12 pm

Roy wrote:
GWiens2001 wrote:How can you stick the grub screw in with the shackle closed?

Gordon

Sorry, meant to say inserted it before closing shackle, lined the bar up with the slot in the padlock body after spending an age keeping the balls in place, all seemed well until I removed the key and now it won't unlock

Am I looking at a paper weight now :slam:

I'm sorry, maybe I don't understand, but it is impossible to close the lock and have it not reopen unless you left the end cap loose. What bar are you talking about and could you elaborate more on what you did?

If the end cap is loose, the discs can move axially, so you would have to insert the key and push the discs around the key in and wiggle to get them all back in the core and then you are able to turn the key to open the lock.

Other than that or if I'm missing something, please post photos of the lock as it is now.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:21 pm

I think he did not have the discs in the correct order. If he had the discs in the carrier lined up and the sidebar installed, he could put the lock together, then use a flat steel piece to line up the discs in the locked position - locking the lock without a key. Then the key would not work.

Could be wrong on what he did, but saw someone here in town do that once.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:00 am

GWiens2001 wrote:I think he did not have the discs in the correct order. If he had the discs in the carrier lined up and the sidebar installed, he could put the lock together, then use a flat steel piece to line up the discs in the locked position - locking the lock without a key. Then the key would not work.

Could be wrong on what he did, but saw someone here in town do that once.

Gordon

That's the very reason I wrote to assemble the lock in the as locked configuration, as it requires a working key to open the shackle and to install the set screw, thus it is impossible to assemble it in such a way that it would be left locked.
<<

Roy

Post Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:36 am

Where I went wrong is that I'd lined all the gates up with the cut out for the bar in the brass plug, I also inserted the bar into the cutouts and then put the plug into the padlock body

It appeared to move about with the key now inserted and I tightened up the cap on the end and then inserted the grub screw, at this point I then closed the shackle and turned the key to lock it and pulled it out, now when I insert the key it will turn so far but not enough to obviously line all the gates up for the bar to drop out from the plug and allow it to turn further :(

If I hadn't been stupid enough to put the grub screw in I could probably remove the plug/discs and start again
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:38 am

Roy wrote:Where I went wrong is that I'd lined all the gates up with the cut out for the bar in the brass plug, I also inserted the bar into the cutouts and then put the plug into the padlock body

It appeared to move about with the key now inserted and I tightened up the cap on the end and then inserted the grub screw, at this point I then closed the shackle and turned the key to lock it and pulled it out, now when I insert the key it will turn so far but not enough to obviously line all the gates up for the bar to drop out from the plug and allow it to turn further :(

If I hadn't been stupid enough to put the grub screw in I could probably remove the plug/discs and start again

So you did what I thought you did. :( And yes, without the grub screw, you would be able to make it a functioning paperweight. Live and learn. If I were not all the way across the pond from you, I'd trade you for it and get it open. You might shoot a PM to Huxleypig, or catch him in chat.

Gordon
<<

Roy

Post Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:20 am

when you insert the plug into the body have I read it right the gates and the bar must line up with the opposing groove in the padlock body before turning and removing the key ?

Is anyone able to open this lock now without hacking it to pieces ?
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:29 pm

Roy wrote:when you insert the plug into the body have I read it right the gates and the bar must line up with the opposing groove in the padlock body before turning and removing the key ?

Is anyone able to open this lock now without hacking it to pieces ?

Nope, the discs have to be in the as-locked position, as in turned CCW as far as they go in the core, i.e. insert-a-key-position. Then you push the core in to the lock, lining up the locking bar slot of the core with the one in the body and then drop the locking bar in that little space. At this moment you have a locked lock. Now you screw in the end cap and you have what appears to be an assembled lock that is locked. Now you push the key in, turn it to open the lock, lift the shackle and screw in that little set screw to secure it.

If you line up all the gates of the discs beforehand (which I didn't write in my instructions), push the locking bar in the groove and then assemble the lock, you can then lock it with just the tip of the key and if the code discs are not in correct order, that was it.

And yes, I'm able to open any rekeyable PL series Abloy lock (PL330 and up). But I'm in Finland and the postage costs back'n'forth and my costs would exceed locks worth. If you had many locks keyed alike then it would be viable option to send me one.
<<

Roy

Post Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:25 pm

Ok, on a new lock, if you unlock, lift the shackle, undo the grub screw, remove the cap and then lift out the plug in the unlocked position with the key in and then wish to put it all straight back and lock it, does the key need to be turned and move the discs back to the locked position and remove the key prior to putting it all back together ?
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:43 pm

Roy wrote:Ok, on a new lock, if you unlock, lift the shackle, undo the grub screw, remove the cap and then lift out the plug in the unlocked position with the key in and then wish to put it all straight back and lock it, does the key need to be turned and move the discs back to the locked position and remove the key prior to putting it all back together ?

To remove the end cap you need to first remove the keys from the lock, thus the lock defaults to "locked" condition.

You only need the key when wanting to install the little set screw as the shackle needs to be open.
Previous

Return to HELP!!!!!