FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

EZ setup to copy stuff w digital camera

Moderator: elbowmacaroni

<<

abroxis

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:30 am

EZ setup to copy stuff w digital camera

New-Improved-Portable-Paperless-Digital-Copy-M.jpg

http://www.instructables.com/id/New-Improved-Portable-Paperless-Digital-Copy-M/

A digital camera stuck on a 4 legged tripod with adjustable rails to hold down pages in a book or just hold the camera steady is one of my new projects.

I am using a Canon camera with software from http://www.breezesys.com/ that permits me full control and viewing of the camera on my computer monitor.

I can zoom in and out and use all camera settings from the computer and it works ok .

I want an easier to use set up where it works just like a photocopier.

An digital camera mounted upside down in a convention scanner (gutted) where the book or tool would be placed on the glass and a button tapped to shoot the image.

Problem is glass creates huge amount of reflection and plexi glass is not much better.

1) Is there a glass or plexiglass that is virtually reflection free?

2) Typically I want to shoot an area of about 8.5 by 11 with the camera about 18 inches from the document.

My 4.3 megapixel camera gives result that at best are tolerable .
Any suggestions what the best megapixel level would be with out going into overkill (higher expense). ?

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:53 am

Re: EZ setup to copy stuff w digital camera

That's a great idea. Thanks for posting the link - I'm sure a lot f the members will find this useful.
<<

pjzstones

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:28 pm

i've thought of making something similar to this b4. glad to see some ones done it.
<<

happykill

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:31 pm

This is useful and interesting. I'm really going to have to take a look at this software, and experiment. Thanks for the post!
-------------------------------
Known Some Call Is Air Am
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:19 am

I've considered doing something like that before, but alas, were is the time?
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

cledry

Post Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:01 pm

I have a business reproducing old books, a sort of a sideline as my real occupation is locksmithing. A few thoughts. It is better for the book to not be opened flat, most digital copy systems for books use a cradle that positions the book in a V shape, not open all the way, obviously your camera must be at the same angle.

I use an inexpensive book scanner that is quite effective and does better than a camera in most cases. Plustek OpticBook 3800 is the scanner.

For copying larger flat material I do use a copy stand and have a piece of non-reflective glass on it, it does reflect but not if the light is 45 degrees off axis. I bought the glass from a Disney animator and I don't know where he bought it.

Return to Photography Tips, Tricks, Suggestions