FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Dremel Oscillating Multi Tool - Help Needed

<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:00 am

Dremel Oscillating Multi Tool - Help Needed

Hello Gents,

Was at a yard sale this weekend. For $5 I got a Dremel Osscillating Multi Tool 6800 with case and accessories. Your probably asking why so cheap well thats because the speed control knob fell inside the tool. I took it apart and it looks as the knob just unglued from the board. I believe Dremel used a type of silicon to glue it but my question is what glue is safe on boards and electrical parts?

I first though was to use a crazy glue I had but after more thinking and reading the label, crazy glues burn or melt plastics in order to create a strong bond and I will damage this assemble if it will burn things. I also checked online and this particular part and model are discontinued. I checked with a few park stores online and they too no longer carry the part so fixing is my only option.
<<

HT4

Post Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:27 am

Re: Dremel Oscillating Multi Tool - Help Needed

Can you solder it on? That's the only method I've used to attach components to boards. If it needs to be sured up, I use hot glue... More as a structural component than an adhesive. But I've never used hot glue without solder.
Check out my "LockPickingLawyer" YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos
<<

freek007

Familiar Face

Post Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:43 am

I'd recommend JB Weld or another 2 part, 5 minute epoxy, just try to be neat with it... I know JB Weld is non conductive (unless you buy the one specifically formulated to be electrically conductive) but you'd have to check the labels on the epoxies...

EDIT* Just realized you are looking to attach TO the board... Try this... http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/b70c/?srp=3
"Wire Glue" Conductive Glue
$3.99 (plus s/h)
Using the latest advances in microcarbon technology, this glue actually conducts electricity.
Lead free.
For both AC and DC low voltage circuits. (There is no known voltage limitation and "Wire Glue" has been used for 20,000 volts DC without problems. BUT there is the issue of a potential hazard if a wire breaks off due to Wire Glue connections being brittle. Please keep safety in mind when you glue.)
Drying Time: To touch: 2 hours; Through: 12 to 48 hours (Depending upon temperature, relative humidity coating thickness, and substrate).
Density: 0.6 grams per cubic centimeter.
Application Temperature Range: 40°F (4°C) to 110°F (43°C)
Service Temperature Range: 0°F (-17.8°C) to 180°F (82.2°C) constant; -20°F (-29°C ) to 200°F (93°C) intermittent
Wet Flammability Information: No flash to boiling (212°F) closed cup.
Conductivity: 13.16 Ohms per cubic centimeter.
Net Wt.: 0.3 fl oz of Wire Glue.

Or this - http://www.amazon.com/0-2ML-Silver-Cond ... 00HNHUZ08/
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:03 pm

Freek thanks much for those links. Its very interesting stuff. I may get a tube just for fun lol.

I also realized I didnt describe things better so my bad. I need to glue a plastic housing which holds the knob onto a board, not actual wires. I attached a link to the part so you can see.

But I think HT did it, because hot glue should work just fine. Dont know why I didnt think of it. Iv been looking for a reason to get a hot glue gun and now I have one lol.

Another opps, its model 6300 not 6800.

Here is the part http://www.ereplacementparts.com/speed- ... 07127.html. That blue knob assembly is what I need to glue to the board.

Return to Awol's Research & Development