FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Cary direct entry lock - need some advice

<<

djb25

Post Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:03 pm

Cary direct entry lock - need some advice

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum (and new to lock manipulation in general). I'm currently trying to open an old Cary safe that has sat in my family's basement, locked, for over 25 years. I don't actually think there is anything in the safe, but I've finally decided to open the thing.

Here's what I have so far -

The safe was made by the Cary Safe Company of Buffalo, NY. The serial number is pretty difficult to read, but it appears to be something like 69945. I've done a bit of research online and as far as I can tell, the safe is equipped with a Cary C-5 lock. My father actually has a very similar safe at his house, serial number 99xxx, and it has a Yale lock (I think a Y6, but I didn't look that closely). Regardless, it is very apparent that my safe doesn't have the same lock, as his isn't direct entry. The other option would be a Cary C-3 lock, but I've found that the C-3 lock has approximately 6" between the centerline of the lever and the dial, and the C-5 is approximately 4". Mine is 4".

The lock itself has a direct drive wheel and three combination wheels. Based on photos of similar locks, I believe it is a screw change wheel, but I can't confirm that.

I've been manipulating the lock by using a laser pointer taped to the top of the lever and indicating on a cardboard box about three feet away. I'm keeping tension on the lever by using a bungee cord wrapped around the back of the safe.

So far I've determined that the drive wheel has 10 gates. They are spaced evenly around the wheel, from 1-5, 11-15, 21-25, and so on. I suspect that the true gate may be at 11-15, but I'm not sure.

If I put all wheels left, stop at zero (100), and rotate the dial to the right, I can find each gate easily. When the fence is in a gate, I can rotate the dial four notches without any noticeable resistance. I take it this means that the fence is resting on the wheel pack and is not touching the bottom of the false gate. The dial doesn't move at all if the fence is out of the gate (which I understand means that the fence is resting on the drive wheel, stopping it). I can't find any recognizable difference in fence depth at any of the gates.

However, if I rotate all wheels left and stop on 2s and 3s (2, 12, 22, etc.) I can observe some changes. For one thing the gates are now smaller - the dial will only rotate one position at each gate. I think the fence is slightly lower at each gate as well.

I'm a little stuck at this point. I have tried to park the different wheels and check the fence depth, but I'm not 100 percent sure where I should park the wheels or where to check fence depth.

I would really, really appreciate any hints or advice.

Thanks!
<<

escapenrv

Familiar Face

Post Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:35 am

Re: Cary direct entry lock - need some advice

Welcome.....
You started here with a bang! I bet you have a sign that says "Go Big or Go Home".
Sounds like a very interesting lock you started with. I can't help since I'm still working on the simple wheels myself but I bet there are several here that can help.
Keep us posted on your progress....and good luck.
Steve
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:27 am

the handle center to dial center should be 3.75". when dial is on 40 the drive wheel gate should line up with the tailpiece.
...Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air... Eagles, Hotel California, 1976
<<

djb25

Post Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:18 pm

I re measured and the distance center-to-center is slightly over 3.75".

There definitely isn't a gate on the drive wheel at 40. There is a gate between 41 and 45, but it doesn't seem to be anything special. It could be the true gate, though. I think im getting weird readings because of the wheel pack.

I suspect there may be a gate on wheel 2 at 32 or so.
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:45 pm

I've never had the pleasure of playing with an older lock like this so I can't speak from experience, but I think I would try to find gates on the three wheels by always returning wheel 4 (the drive wheel) back to the deepest false gate that you could find and going around the dial AWL or AWR looking for low points.

What is it that makes you think that you have a gate on the second wheel? If you've already isolated that wheel and found a gate, then return that wheel to your known gate and wheel four to the lowest false gate and search the other two wheels.

Welcome to the forums...keep us posted on your progress!

-Mike
I have an amazing grasp of the obvious. Beyond that, not so much.
<<

djb25

Post Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:37 am

I thought I found a gate at 32 on wheel 2 because I was getting a slightly different indication at that point, and the indication disappeared if moved wheel 2.

I'm not 100 percent sure what I was seeing, though. I decided to start over and try get more detailed data.

Learning manipulation this way is difficult - most of the information that is available concentrates on friction fence locks. Most discussions of direct entry locks usually end up being about cheap sentry locks. For example, I have a copy of the National Locksmith Guide to Manipulation, which has a chapter on direct entry locks. Unfortunately, the example lock is a cheap two wheel Sentry fire safe lock, which isn't very useful.

I've also found that I need to place a significant amount of force on the lever to get consistent readings. I'm using a bungee cord - a rubber band would have been completely useless.

I have been using a laser pointer (actually, a laser sight for a pistol) to take readings. Unfortunately, the battery life is not very good, and every time I change the batteries, I have to remove the sight from the handle. I think I'm going to give a simple steel indicator a go this time, although a lower powered laser with longer battery life would probably be better.

I've now regraphed the drive wheel both AWL and AWR. The indications were pretty consistent this time. Taking measurements every 2.5, AWL, I have very consistent indications of gates at 2.5 and 5, 12.5 and 15, and so on, all the way around the dial. Again, the indicated depths are pretty consistent - only 72.5 was slightly deeper than everywhere else.

Testing AWR was a bit different. I only found increased depths at the 2.5 marks, so 2.5, 12.5, 22.5, etc. The 5s were the same depth as everywhere else on the drive wheel. However, I did find that 52.5 and 62.5 were noticeably deeper than the other gates.

Now that I am getting more consistent readings, I'm going to go back and take readings on each wheel, and hopefully find something that way. I think the fence and lever have started to free up a bit more, which is helping with my readings.
<<

djb25

Post Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:01 pm

Well, I managed to open the safe tonight. I ended up using a dial gauge to measure the depth of the gates. Once I did that, things fell into place fairly quickly. I'm honestly a bit shocked by how consistent the wheel sizes are - the difference between the gates in the wheel pack was very, very small.

Unfortunately, the safe was empty... But I wasn't really expecting anything.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:07 pm

djb25 wrote:Well, I managed to open the safe tonight. I ended up using a dial gauge to measure the depth of the gates. Once I did that, things fell into place fairly quickly. I'm honestly a bit shocked by how consistent the wheel sizes are - the difference between the gates in the wheel pack was very, very small.

Unfortunately, the safe was empty... But I wasn't really expecting anything.

Very nice that you got it open! Congratulations. Now you have the bug, and will find yourself trolling eBay trying to find more locks to manipulate. ;)

Welcome to our addiction!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

djb25

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:43 am

Here are a few pics of the safe and the process used opening it.

This is my final setup - I used a cheap dial gauge and magnetic mounting block, indicating off of vise-grip attached to the lever. I also used Contact Point Journal from analoghacking.com to record my results. It would have been a pain to record the data from the dial gauge on a regular graph, so the software was a huge help. Don't mind the laptop accessory - a little inside joke.

010e83372dc7dc3ef67bbd8542777e1a94819f9dfb.jpg

Here's the safe interior:

01d4b9e0d4397cea8adc8b923baa9a9904ff4f33ec.jpg

Here's the drive wheel:

01c8943677b25a4e8b4e3fd1b91c24ecb34519e48b.jpg

Here's the wheel pack:

0166ed6577d5f0478225cf2ec76d80e169a11bd441.jpg

Now I think I"ll have to clean the safe up, repaint the exterior, try to restore the interior, and put it back in service.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:20 am

Sweeeeet safes mate. Welcome and you sure did start off with a big bang. Congrads and do post pics once the safe is restored
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:55 am

Thanks for sharing, nice photos.
What was the final combo?
Was it 3 number combo or four?
I see the three wheels, hence three numbers and then another to line up the drive wheel?
Your Dial gauge is not what I had imaged, my only reference is the photo in "The National Locksmith guide to Manipulation".
If I understand correctly, your using a Dial indicator against the handle of a pair of vise grips.?
I was thinking you would be able to read bye eye. No way I guess.
Which direction do you move the handle to open?
Sorry for all the questions, I am just getting started on manipulation.
I love this stuff. :drool:
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:32 pm

Nice work, and nice safe!

So the dial gauge was the only way to see the differences on the wheels? In other words, the laser pointer didn't give a large enough indication?

I'd love to hear your step by step process as far as figuring out which gate was the true gate on the drive cam, which order the wheels indicated, etc. If you get some time...

-Mike
I have an amazing grasp of the obvious. Beyond that, not so much.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:54 pm

Damn! Nice work!! Love the photos of your setup.

I've played a little bit with direct entry...
but for the most part, it's still uncharted territory
for me. So I found this whole story quite interesting.

Thanks
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:57 am

So I went to Analoghacking.com to check it out.
All the bells and whistles, red flags on my computer went off.
My anti-virus software wont let me open anything. Looked like it had some neat programs.

Was wanting to know the combo, to see if I could make sense out of what I saw on your graph in the photo.
I understand the bungee cord.. whats the wrench for?

Funny thing is that I had just made my own Dial gauge. It is similar to the one Locksmith guide to Manipulation.
Now I wonder if I'll ever use it.
After Seeing your contraption.
Guess it should work on sentry type safes.
Still a great story.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks