FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Safe carpet

<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:34 pm

Safe carpet

I am looking for a safe carpet. They are completely unknown here. What kind of carpet was in the safes? A cut down Persian rug?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:03 pm

Re: Safe carpet

Be different, go with shag.
...Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air... Eagles, Hotel California, 1976
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:27 pm

Apart from those utterly ridiculous "luxury safes" that the super wealthy use to house their watches and jewelry and whatever else the super wealthy have, the only other carpet I've seen in safes is in gun safes. They often have bits of that cheap and frankly horrible nylon industrial carpet on the horizontal surfaces (and sometimes the walls as well), I assume to stop the firearms getting scratched against the metal of the safe. The carpet is invariably poor quality, poorly cut, and poorly affixed. YMMV.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:50 pm

I know what you are looking for Martin. The really short knap carpet with a woven pattern, like a Persian rug. The kind found on the bottom in old safes. I have never seen it used anywhere else. So, I never thought about replacing it. Never have I seen it on the aftermarket either. My best guess would be to find someone that does needle point and have them make you a re-pop. Good luck with your search.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:17 am

Thanks, I will try to find someone doing needle point work.

And for those who do not know what I am referring to .... You can see a carpet in this Victor safe Oldfast opened a long time ago.
viewtopic.php?p=109406#p109406
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

Altashot

Post Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:42 am

I’ve seen all sorts of patterns in old safes, from floral to geometric patterns. I don’t know how or where the manufacturer acquired those mats but I’ve seen some that appeared to have been left over cut offs, the patterns were cut off on the edges or off centre.
I’ve used cut offs myself.

Good luck with your quest.

M.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:08 am

A cut-off from a used rug is probably the easiest solution. And cheapest.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:42 pm

<<

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:33 pm

Any of those would work. Don't over think it. Anything similar to the original patterns looks good once installed. There was a local old movie theater that freshened up the building and used a vintage design carpet. The supplying store gave me the samples from the carpet book which were just big enough for a couple of safe projects. Check local carpet suppliers.

To bad you don't have a Home Depot in the neighborhood. This would work and is a bargain.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ottomanson-Ottohome-Collection-Traditional-Floral-Design-Red-2-ft-3-in-x-3-ft-Area-Rug-OTH2130-2X3/312713397

It is time... stand up for a constitutional America. Without it, we have shed blood in vain.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:13 am

I am not even allowed to look at their web page.

I will buy the light carpet. It might look nicer with the traditional gray of the safe.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:07 am

What did you do with the edges of the carpet?
<<

GregWhitney

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:04 pm

Hi Martin,

What you need is serging or binding of the carpet edge. My father-in-law worked at a carpet wholesaler after he retired and that was his job. People brought in remnants all the time and they happily bound them (for a fee of course)
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:44 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_os1ogAq_-M

Hm. Doesn't look that bad. Thanks.
<<

Visitor

Post Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:04 am

I have a roll of grey car boot carpet I use. It's like a hard felt. Any scrap yard will have some old ones.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:27 pm

My carpet is woven quite uneven. I can't cut along a thread. To protect the cut I will just use some glue.
Next

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks