FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Question re: Spline key and Handing

<<

Neilau

Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:41 pm

Question re: Spline key and Handing

Can someone explain the relationship between the spline key and the Handing on a combination lock?

I understand the concept of Handing – the mounting orientation of the lock on the door. That is LH (left hand), RH, VU (vertical up) and VD - but how does the orientation of the spline key effect this or Vicky Verka.

The spline key attaches the drive cam to the spindle.

Does it really matter what way the spline key is inserted and if so, in what way does it matter. :???:

Cheers.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:55 pm

Re: Question re: Spline key and Handing

The spline key sets where the 0 on the dial is located. It would stink to install a lock, and have the 0 actually dial to the 9 o'clock position.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Neilau

Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:45 pm

Thanks GW.

I've never been able to find that out.

Makes sense. I can see now how it works.

One other reason that I asked, that I did not mention, is that I have an S&G 6700 that was taken from a safe that had the lock mounted RH but the spline key set VU.

I suspect, now, that the Locksmith who sold it to me was having a bit of fun and reset it. :whip:

If it was mounted incorrectly re: the spline key, (0 at 9 o'clock) could you still open it with a combination ???

If so, would that make manipulation a bit confusing ???

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up.

Cheers.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:04 pm

Yes, you could still manipulate it. Exact same method, except the drop in zone is in a different location. On a gravity operated lock, the lock likely will not function correctly.

In order to remove the safe lock from the door, the spline key must be removed and the drive cam spun off the spindle, so the dial can be removed (along with the spindle) out the front of the door. Then the lock body can be removed from the inside the door. The tech would then put the spindle back into the lock body, spin on the drive cam, drop the spline pin back in, and reinstall the lock back cover, then send it out to unsuspecting people in the land of Oz.

Since the lock will need to have the spindle removed again in order to mount the lock, the location into which he/she puts the spline key in for shipping or storage does not matter.

Good questions!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:20 pm

A good example of a mix up like Gordon was eluding to is a Mosler I mounted incorrectly.
Most modern locks are now adapted to be mounted VU, VD, RH, or LH. However, this particular
one happend to be a strictly left-handed lock. So when I mounted it RH it caused the drop-in area
to be at around 50 (180 degrees from where it should be for a Mosler.... zero). Yes, you could still
put a combo in, and yes it would still function properly. But your drop-in/contact area/forbidden zone
would not be true to the manufacturer and would also limit the use of some of the mid-range numbers.

The contact area (drop-in area) differs slightly with each brand. Your S&G should be around 5-15

The other thing to keep in mind is the orientation of the spline keys' flag. Some locks call for the flag to
rest over the spindle, while other locks require it to point away from the spindle and rest over the cam.
I've messed this up before too, lol, then realized the spline key was grinding against the cover plate :/
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks