FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Newb's First Safe Crack!

<<

CPT1911

Familiar Face

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:42 am

Newb's First Safe Crack!

Hello,

I joined the site two days ago after discovering that info on the subject of manipulation was pretty hard to come by. When we remodeled our house last year, we discovered a Major floor safe in the closet that had been covered over with the last owner's carpet. I did some basic research at the time, but remodeling was the priority so I saved the safecracking project until now. I didn't (and still don't--it's in the mail) have a practice lock so I was learning everything from scratch on the locked safe.

Closed.JPG

Last Sunday night, I began in earnest. I read the Matt Blaze paper, a few less than helpful posts on Lockpicking101, and got started with graphing. I found that I had a tough time accurately reading the change in contact region, but my initial graph indicated something was going on AWL at 30 and 75.

The next few nights, I broadened my understanding and added a vernier scale from the analoghacking.com. Huge improvement! It allowed me to read to 1/10 graduation very consistently.

I didn't trust my original graph, so I started over again with the vernier scale and found again that something was happening AWL at 30 and 75. I amplified and found 29 and 76 seemed to be the center of the drop in contact region, but I really couldn't be sure that I was feeling a gate since I had never tested this on a practice lock.

On Wedensday, I found this site and joined immediately. I want to thank femurat, daggers, and oldfast for the posts that really got me going! I had been using the Matt Blaze paper instructions for how to find which wheel my gate was on, but the description of the Hi/Low test from daggers was really helpful in the sense that it also taught me how to park wheels.

AWL 29 had the most significant gate signature, but I couldn't figure out which wheel it was on. It seemed like all my Hi/Low results were really "flat" with no significant change when it was tested on any one wheel. I now believe that there was a high spot on another wheel(s) that was "masking" the indication for the correct wheel. Anyway, I settled on wheel #3 (wrong) and started graph #2 Last night. I had been at this until about 1AM every night during the week. My back hurt from being hunched over the floor safe and my eyes were all bloodshot. I was getting discouraged.

So with wheel #3 parked on L29, graph #2 totally sucked and looked really flat. I thought maybe I saw the gate indicator of a drop and then staying level at wheel #1&2 R82.5. I was grasping at straws and this turned out to be bogus. I tried Hi/Low again for R82.5 on wheel and had crappy results. Still, I decided the largest contact region was probably when 82.5 was on wheel #2 and started dialing Lx-R82.5-L29 advancing by twos. 50 combos later, I was stumped.

Then I decided to look back at my first graphs and dial some random combos using the low points I originally found at 29 and 76. I knew something was happening at those points, but I had serious doubts about my Hi/Low tests. When I tried combos with 76 at the last number the contact region got very small! It was pretty dramatic, and I was now pretty sure that 76 was the last number!

So I decided to try Lx-R29-L76, but the contact region didn't get smaller. I now had to accept that I had only one number: Wheel #3 at L76.

I went and had a beer and talked to my wife. She had been really good about listening to all my safe banter, and she is pretty analytical. I was ready to give up on L29 as a number, and she said, "But you had such a great indication on 29."

I looked at her and realized that dialing 29 RIGHT as the middle number in my test combos was not the same as finding 29 AWL! So I figured out how to convert (thanks Daggers!) and decided that IF my AWL indication at 29 was actually on wheel #2, it would be R27!

I dialed a few x-27-76 combos and the contact region shrank again!

I went for it and started 0-27-76, 2-27-76, 4-27-76. BAM! it opened. I couldn't believe it. I was about 17 hours in and an estimated 1,500 revolutions at that point. I am very confident that if I had figured out the conversion thing (and maybe had a practice lock!) I could do it in significantly less time. But I am super pumped that I opened it! Empty, by the way...

Open.JPG

I want to thank everyone on the board for all the help! I'm hooked!

One last thing, can anyone tell me what model of lock I cracked? It doesn't have a model number on it.

Lock.JPG

Cover.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

virul

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:11 am

Re: Newb's First Safe Crack!

Great post, well done on cracking that safe I can't even get my combination padlock open. and welcome to the site.
I likes my locks like I likes my women, loose and easy to manipulate.
<<

Blacky

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:47 am

WooooW you open self all with yourself??? :shock:

You safe cracker now haha :wanker:

is wanker something good?
<<

PhoneMan

I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?
I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:18 pm

Very cool! welcome to the site. I've yet to really get into manipulation, as I'm busy with other stuff right now, but I have the locks to practice on. Seems like a lot of fun, I see it as a puzzle waiting to be solved.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:04 pm

Outstanding work! Congratulations on your first opening.

It's an amazing world we live in that a person can sit at home, do some research on the internet and be able to complete a project like this.

A bit scary in some ways, but cool nevertheless.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:34 pm

BAM!!! Hahaaaaaaaaaa! Stellar!! Well done sir... well done! I love it.

CPT1911 wrote:One last thing, can anyone tell me what model of lock I cracked? It doesn't have a model number on it.
Not absolute.... but my guess would be a R6700

Loved how you included your doubts and problems along the way.
Very exciting. Felt like I was right there with ya. Wish I could've
seen you went you heard and felt the fence drop in... HA!!!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

CPT1911

Familiar Face

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:50 pm

Oldfast wrote:...Wish I could've seen you went you heard and felt the fence drop in... HA!!!

Haha, thanks Oldfast! My eyes got as big as saucers and I totally froze, deer-in-headlights style. I also thought to myself "I'm so happy that the number I was brute-forcing was 4 and not 99..."

Seriously, one of the coolest things I've ever done. Afterward, this weird sadness came over me because I had no more safes to crack. My practice lock arrives today, and something tells me it won't be as cool to crack as the locked floor safe I have been staring at for a year. I've already been on craigslist looking for safe listings "combination unknown." I had no idea this would be strangely addicting...
<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:13 pm

Seriously , WELL DONE ! not much more to say really , welcome fellow addict !
Open Sez Me !
<<

LockManipulator

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:10 pm

Wow great job! That first one is always the best. Glad I could be of help! :)
<<

Oldfast

Post Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:45 pm

Blacky wrote:WooooW you open self all with yourself??? :shock:

You safe cracker now haha :wanker:

is wanker something good?

Aman, I'm not sure EXACTLY what a 'wanker' is.... but I don't think I'd want to be one! Haha
So.... NO, it's probably not a good thing. Personally, my favorite smily to use is :spinning:

CPT1911 wrote:.... My practice lock arrives today ....

So? Did it arrive? I meant to ask... what kind? Is it a cutaway?
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:50 am

Congrats for the opening CPT1911, I'm surprised too about your success. I'm glad you found our tutorials useful, and put them to good use.
Sure opening a real safe is much more challenging than a practice lock, but your practice lock will still give you hours and hours of fun. And you'll be in a much more comfortable position, most likely sitting at your desk.
Yes this hobby is very addictive...

Cheers :)
<<

CPT1911

Familiar Face

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:41 pm

Thanks to all!

Practice locks are in, stands are built. I have a 6741 and a Lagard 3332 (2M lock that I seriously doubt I will ever open. Fellas, there are no contact points on that thing, I wouldn't know where to begin!)

I also found a "combo and contents unknown" safe with a S&G dial on it for $100 on Craigslist. Picking it up tonight. I am REEEEAAAALLLLY hoping it has a Group 2 lock on it because if it doesn't I may get to learn about drilling....

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks