FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Controversial Paper (old news really)

<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:10 pm

Controversial Paper (old news really)

Most of us are familiar with, or at least aware of Matt Blaze's paper, "Safecracking for the Computer Scientist".
What I was not aware of is the uproar it created when first released to the public years ago. Imagine that?! lol
Safe-makers & locksmiths tried to smash him publicly as well as attack him legally. Matt would NOT budge :whip:
Obviously they were unsuccessful, as the paper still stands alone in the public domain, FREE to anyone who seeks it.

Need I even say where I stand on the matter? lol. People hoarding this shit as if it were some sort of holy fuckin' grail
or something. As if only a few 'worthy' elite are deserving of it. It shouldn't bother me... but it does. So I'll admit,
attempting to read this this (& the comments that followed) with an un-bias point of view was difficult.

Those opposing this paper going public had two main arguments:
1) That Matt's paper would threaten they're profession that they worked so hard to build.
2) That it would negatively impact, and greatly lessen security for the community at large.

As hard as I tried, I cannot find any validity within either of these points.
Instead, both seem to be based on one of two things: FEAR and/or EGO.
But hey, opinions are like assholes... everyone's got one. That's just mine.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

ARF-GEF

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Controversial Paper (old news really)

I really don't think that MaAtt's paper is making safe cracking criminals out of people. Noone will crack a safe just cause he read his paper, but it is an interesting and important document for aspiring hobbyists.
Also: noone will replace a locksmith just cause he read this book. Those lockies who are afraid someone will replace them just cause he read that book should look into themselves and think long and hard why could a person be a competition for them after reading just 1 book. That only means they are either too insecure or far undertrained.

Anyway I always been on the sharing-helping side of the what-is-restricted debate so there is no surprise in my opinion.
To infinity... and beyond!
=== WARNING DANGER OF TYPOS!===
Arfspeak: calnin cladycomes: you allow her key in themodning
Equals in plain English: cleaning lady comes: you allow her key in the morning
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:41 pm

I have read a number of books on safe manipulation, including Yale friction fence locks. Yet when I started to play with an old safe in a safe shop that had one of these locks, I could not open it in the time I had (about 20 minutes). Only suspect I had found one number. Just do not have enough experience working with them yet.

A person might be able to work out picking a Kwikset or a Master #3 padlock off an article or paper. But very few will be able to pick a BEST, ASSA Twin, or Medeco, even if they thoroughly read everything Xeo has written on the subject. Even fewer people will be able to manipulate a safe even if they read a whole bunch of papers. It takes time, knowledge and practice, practice and more practice.

I feel a little differently on safe bypasses, or destructive entry, but that is another subject entirely.

However, it is a fact that we in the lockpicking/locksport community can contribute greatly to the quality of locking mechanisms if the manufacturers will give us the chance. (Hats off to CLC!)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:08 pm

I have that paper, it's pretty cool. I don't know of anyone treating like a holy grail though, if anyone wants it then let me know.

**EDIT** Right, you meant safe technicians hoarding the knowledge! Annoying, it bugs me too. **EDIT**
<<

Arborigine

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:38 pm

Oldfast, i like the cut of your gibberish. lol. Information should be available, and does not change whether or not someone will choose to follow the dark side of the force. You are either an honest person, or you are not. I like the challenge of learning how to do many different things and not having to hire others to do them for me. The Guilds of old are history, and knowlege not passed on becomes lost, and is a discredit to those who accomplished so much before. The locksmithing industry does not seem to recognise this and clings to a standard that paints everyone outside their group as a potential enemy. Many times in automobile restoration have we had to re-learn how to use processes that were lost when their practioners died off in the middle of the last century. That should not be, and i applaud anyone who passes on his knowlege without regard for non-military secrecy or trying to direct the moral compass of others.
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:45 pm

Mike, totally agree with ya.

I believe in freedom of knowledge too. I do think that easy bypasses and destructive entry should be restricted though. But even those should be alerted. Like lock snapping. I don't divulge info on how to do it. But I do alert that it can be done ("did you know a lock installed like that can be broken? call a locksmith" kind of thing).

This happens on all areas whatsoever. The world of business is changing and no one has the right to try to hold off to old business models. Sharing is the new "secret of the trade".
Seen many companies actually teaching their secrets online. The fact is many people still go to tha company for their services. The simple fact of the lock seller teaching how to change the combo may give enough trust on him/his company to go there and buy other stuff. Or use other services. Or recommend to a friend.

Think Google. That is the new business model. At least for the next 10 years. Then it'll change again, and we'll have to adapt.

Now, to come back to the subject:

The local locksmith were I go, don't take me wrong, I have lots of respect for the guy, is absolutelly old fashioned.
He told me he has no interest on picking a lock, because when he goes on a lockout he wants to make money: "I go there to destroy the lock. I then sell them a new one and charge both the openning and the new lock+installation. I'm here to make money, not lose it".

Although I can understand that, it is, IMHO, wrong. He doesn't have many regular clients. Maybe with a fast, cheaper opening he would: first, do the job faster and be ready for other jobs (I saw him turn of a job because he knew he was going to take a lot of time on the job at hands). Second, get the costumer recomend him to others, as here a lockout is fucking expensive. Third, save the costumer of having to copy new keys and have the work of handing them to their family and all that shit.

He also says he doesn't like to sell quality locks. Because they don't need maintenance and don't give trouble. So he sells them once and doesn't get the costumer there again.

I do not own a business, nor I want to teach anyone to do so. This is just an opinion and I respect every other's. But for me this is bullshit. If I buy a lock and it gives me hell, I will buy on another store. If it's great, I'll do everything lock related on that store. I will also recommend that store to others. And all my keys are going to be copied there, even if it's more expensive than other places. Just because I trust that store.

I'm sad to say that it is a store without growth for many years. And all his shit are there collecting dust.

To finish, I think no locksmith has ever lost a considerable ammount of money because of Matt Blaze's text. Just by reading that I wouldn't just disassmeble the lock and clean an lube it. If I had only the theoretical knowledge that the text gives me, I wouldn't mess with the lock. And the manipulation wouldn't be done just like that.

And even if it was... That would be because the guy insists on coming to my house and blow my safe up and charge me 300$ for doing that. Not interested.

Again, just an opinion, I respect every other's just as my own! :mrgreen:
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

dmasters

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:39 pm

Having heard the skinny from the "inside" regarding both Blaze and Tobias, I can say without hesitation that it's all ego. There is a Priesthood (if you will) of old fart locksmiths that are responsible for many of the tools, techniques and methodology that just about all other modern locksmiths subscribe to. They are the ones that feel wronged and betrayed that THEIR secrets have been uncovered, and they received no credit for what they feel is their rightful knowledge. But if not them, then who? It's not like there wouldn't have been another spunky-spry lockjock to come along and make the same discoveries. What if they had the internet (as we know it) 30-40 years ago? Would they have hesitated sharing this knowledge then?

Of course, there is also the money factor. If you are reading freely provided information, then you are not buying their books. If you are in a free internet community, then you are not funneling money to the Big Brother Locksmiths Association. By sharing knowledge that you worked and discovered on your own through your own experimentation, then you are not properly paying homage (with your credit card) to those that came before you :whip:

Hope that made sense... It's been a long day.
<<

PhoneMan

I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?
I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?

Post Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:36 pm

dmasters and fgarci, i feel the same way. Info wants to be free!
<<

Neilau

Post Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:52 pm

Gee…… if all it took to be a master welder or an engineer was to read an instruction manual there would be no need for trade colleges etc.

When people find out that I like to pick locks as a hobby the usual response is “…you must have had a shady youth…”.
I have to explain to them that it took me about six months of practice to become reasonably proficient on ONE type of lock and it is no different from people who like to solve puzzles, like rubric’s cubes etc.

I also explain that most burglars would not waste any time learning these skills when a brick through a window or a jemmy bar is much quicker and usually more efficient when time is of the essence.

Most are amazed when I explain that it is even an international sport.

It takes PRACTICE and EXPERIENCE to achieve any level of proficiency.

So, to all those who want to keep “the secrets” don’t fret. It takes more than a couple of pages of instruction, no matter how good the instructions are.

Here’s a picture of my finger after a practice session on SPP.

I still practice and am still learning ---- and Loving it !!!!

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

Josh66

Post Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:01 pm

Interesting read. I read it over my breaks and lunches the last couple days at work (on my phone).

I might have to get myself one of those safe locks to play around with now...
<<

DR2

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:02 pm

dmasters wrote:Having heard the skinny from the "inside" regarding both Blaze and Tobias, I can say without hesitation that it's all ego. There is a Priesthood (if you will) of old fart locksmiths that are responsible for many of the tools, techniques and methodology that just about all other modern locksmiths subscribe to. They are the ones that feel wronged and betrayed that THEIR secrets have been uncovered, and they received no credit for what they feel is their rightful knowledge. But if not them, then who? It's not like there wouldn't have been another spunky-spry lockjock to come along and make the same discoveries. What if they had the internet (as we know it) 30-40 years ago? Would they have hesitated sharing this knowledge then?

Of course, there is also the money factor. If you are reading freely provided information, then you are not buying their books. If you are in a free internet community, then you are not funneling money to the Big Brother Locksmiths Association. By sharing knowledge that you worked and discovered on your own through your own experimentation, then you are not properly paying homage (with your credit card) to those that came before you.

That sums it up nicely.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks