FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Simplex 1000 series lock question

<<

PhoneMan

I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:41 pm

Simplex 1000 series lock question

Hey guys, I'm trying to find the "DF-59" change key for my Simplex 1000 lock, as the one I made is not very good. (made from a modified GM car key blank)
Anyone know where I can order one, or have one to sell/trade?

Also if anyone has an accurate PDF or scan of the template, I'd appreciate it, as Ilco's site has PDF's, but they aren't to scale! (Says not to be used as a drilling template! WTF?)

I have two of these locks, and am considering selling/trading the lever one in antique brass finish, if I do, I'll post it in the buy, sell trade area. I don't know yet if I'm gonna keep it or not. I'm gonna make a display for one, as I wouldn't use one of these locks for more than a convenience, after seeing and reading how trivial it is to bypass them!

Thanks guys!
<<

rzr800

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:09 pm

Re: Simplex 1000 series lock question

are you talking about the key that unscrews the back plate on these so you can change the combo? if so i have a bunch of these keys there all the same. i can mail you a set or something.
<<

PhoneMan

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:12 pm

Yes that's the one. I'd gladly pay for postage if you'd like.
I'll PM you my address.

Thanks,
Will
<<

rzr800

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:29 pm

ill send you a lever removal tool too. anyone else need a set of these kaba tools?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:50 pm

hixen976 wrote:ill send you a lever removal tool too. anyone else need a set of these kaba tools?

Definitely! PM inbound.
<<

rzr800

Post Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:18 am

If anyone ever installs these locks for a big facility here is useful tips from expirence i had with these locks. Always make sure the doors have door closers especially if its a heavy steel door. Never let or try to train the user (customer) to change the combo, cause if they fail the enter the right combo and forget what they entered you more than likely have to send it back to manufacture for a reset. Its very difficult. If its a federal building or something and the locksmith can't know the code then make sure the user is trained by you dont just give them the instruction book. Spare parts to have on hand (same day service and repair makes you look very good) that usually go out on these locks is dead latches, retractor shoe, and of course retractor shoe springs. These locks are the best and they dont usually ever break.
<<

keymaster1053

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:53 pm

just an FYI, you can decode an unknown combo yourself, its very easy. I've done it many times myself. you don't have to send it back to the manufacturer for a reset. :) let me know if you have any you want reset, I'll do it for you.
Jim.
keymaster1053
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:58 pm

Hixen, I hate to disagree, but....... We have 40 or so locks on the shelf ready for use as replacements at any given time. We wear out combo chambers, clutches and outside shafts OFTEN. Unican refuses to admit their combo chambers break. We replace, rebuild them, and back on the shelf. Another thing about these locks, parts are expensive (if you ask me). With the prices escalating on this old technology, I would shop around for something more trustworthy. We only use these for direct replacement, new installs get electronic locks (most with key override).
And I agree with Keymaster about easily figuring out the lost codes. In fact, with the new chambers there is no need to remove the cover, they have put in little windows to allow us to see in.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

PhoneMan

Post Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:39 pm

Both of my locks had unknown combos when I got them, instead of decoding them as per the instructions in the manual, I took the "fun" way and brute forced them using a list online of every code. Took only 3-10 minutes. There's Marc Tobias' magnet trick too, only tried that on 1 successfully.

Give me something that takes a key or ENCRYPTED rfid, and I'll feel secure. Don't get me wrong, in the right areas as a convenience lock, they're fine. Like for example in an office setting with security cameras or enough foot traffic that tampering would be easily spotted. Also UV pens work good for seeing the buttons pressed and narrowing down the combo. At least with electronic keypads, you can put a "lockout" time after so many wrong tries.
And then there's the old saying of locks keeping honest people honest, and I know that most locks can be bypassed, but these can be bypassed without tools relatively simply.

Hixen, thanks again for the goodies, I do appreciate it!

Will

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks