FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

master combo padlock w/ control key info?

<<

psykro

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:46 pm

master combo padlock w/ control key info?

hi, i'm hoping one of you good people can tell me how to reset the combination on a master 1525 [?] 0-39 combo padlock.
it is the one with the control key. i can pick the control barrel ok, but i don't know how to reset the thing...
as humble as it is, this lock is my start at manipulation so i would like to be able to reset it to a known combo in order to relate feel to position.
i assume the whole idea of the control key is to open it if the combo is forgotten, so i further assume it should be resettable with key turned. :???:
<<

Altashot

Post Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:27 pm

Re: master combo padlock w/ control key info?

These padlock cannot be comb changed. The key serves as an override.
I don't know why Master calls it a control.

M.
<<

psykro

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:49 pm

aaarrgghhh!
thanks Altashot
back to the futile websearch on manipulating these fuckers... plenty on the non-key ones, of course : ]
<<

Joe Momma

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:24 pm

What are the number on the back, I might be able to get the combo from an old database if the lock was made before 2009 that is...

otherwise there is this method from elsewhere on the interwebz...

Cut-N-pasted:

Note that there are 64,000 possible combinations on a master lock (0-39 makes 40 possible values on each digit, there are 3 digits). This is a little inaccurate since there is a little tolerance in entering a number (38 or 36 usually works for 37, for instance), but it works for showing how much we'll narrow it down.

Firstly, note that the only tumbler that you actually move when you turn the dial is the one that controls the last digit. You will be finding the last digit first. This is the most crucial step. Do not mess up. Position the lock at zero. Pull up on the shackle (the U-shaped thing). Turn until it clicks.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/inside-lock.htm - see the last two pictures for exactly why it clicks like this, it should be pretty clear.

Now, when it "clicks" (you will feel it), it will lock in between two numbers. While maintaining tension on the shackle, turn the dial around. Note where the dial stops. Let's say that I can rotate the dial between 4 and 5. This means that the number I want to write down is 4.5. If it rotates between 4.5 and 5.5, the number that I want to write down is 5. This varies widely from lock to lock - some don't have any tolerance for movement when tension is maintained, some have quite a bit. Use your best judgment, and if you screw up, you will notice in just a second.

Do this around the entire lock. You will hopefully get 12 numbers. If you didn't, you screwed up and you need to do it again (you did make sure your lock was a Master lock, didn't you?).

Okay, so what are these numbers? One of them is the last digit to your lock. The other 11 are decoys. How do we know which is the correct one?

Let's take this series of possible last digits (these were the ones I used with my lock): 38.5, 35.5, 32, 28.5, 25.5 22, 19, 15.5, 12, 8.5, 5.5, 2

Sometimes it is very difficult to tell if something falls on the digit or between, so there should be 7 that have a .5 and 5 that don't.

First, take away all of the ones that have a .5 after them. They are all decoys.

So, you have 32, 22, 19, 12, and 2 left. You will note that they all have the same digit on the one's place except one of them. You are left with 19. That is the last digit.

I would recommend trying this with a lock that you know the combination to first, because if you get the wrong one this time, you'll probably get it wrong later too, and you may need to try up to 100 combinations later, and it will be pretty frustrating when none of them work.

Enter modulus. Modulus is a lesser-known mathematical operator that just means "remainder." The magic number with Master locks is four. You need to find the modulus of the last digit of your lock and four. For my lock, the last digit is 19. Let's do some long division! 4 into 19=4, and 4 times 4 is 16, and 19-16=3, so we have 4 remainder 3. So, 19 Mod 4 (sometimes stated 19%4) is 3. Now, you must list all 10 of the numbers with a modulus that is equal to [LastDigit Mod 4]. That means that I am left with 3, 7, 11, 15, 19, 23, 27, 31, 35, and 39.

One of those is the first digit.

The second digits are the easiest. Just add two to the possible first digits. That gives us 5,9,13,17,21,25,29,33,37,1 (39+2=41, but there is no 41, so begin at zero [NOT ONE] from 39).

Now, enumerate all the possible combinations:

3-1-19
3-5-19
3-9-19
3-13-19
7-1-19
7-9-19 <--This is the actual combination, by the way
7-13-19
... etc., etc., etc.

So now, we have narrowed down the 64,000 combinations to a mere one hundred (10*10*1). This shouldn't take you more than 15 or 20 minutes to try all of the combinations. On average, it takes me 10 minutes from start to finish. Remember to mark down which combinations you've tried!

Good luck!
<<

Joe Momma

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:40 pm

Here is a calculator to do the math part (^above) you just need to figure out the last number.

It will narrow it down greatly... http://www.filedropper.com/mastercombolockcalculator
<<

Logan

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:52 pm

"My only definite plan is that in the future I'm definitely just using this screwdriver for screwing in screws" -The Doctor

┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐
<<

Don

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:56 am

I haven't used that method in years .. it does work. I seem to remember if the last number ( first number found) is even all the remaining numbers are even. Same for last number( first number found) being odd.
The locks with a key hole in back are institutional ( school or other org.) and the codes weren't published. ( that may have changed)
<<

psykro

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:33 pm

thanks everybody!

Joe Momma wrote:What are the number on the back, I might be able to get the combo from an old database if the lock was made before 2009 that is...

JM, the serial is 333537 V57

gonna try work thru it now :???:

:D
<<

psykro

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:04 pm

WOOOO i was lucky, after working out the Last Digit [30], i only had to get to 2-8-30 to pop the bugger!
that's awesome thanks again gents : ]
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:27 am

psykro wrote:WOOOO i was lucky, after working out the Last Digit [30], i only had to get to 2-8-30 to pop the bugger!
NICE! :D
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:43 am

Altashot wrote:These padlock cannot be comb changed. The key serves as an override.
I don't know why Master calls it a control.

M.

It's called a control key, because the locks are sold to schools and other multi-use facilities, where the management would need quick access into the locker (or other container), and not have to look up a combination.
Also, (You may already know this): The control keys used on the built-in locker locks not only provides the same quick access, but are also used for resetting the combinations on them.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:21 pm

MASTER KEY V57 TWO BLANKS USED V-SERIES 750 TOTAL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

psykro

Familiar Face

Post Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:00 pm

Oldfast wrote:
psykro wrote:WOOOO i was lucky, after working out the Last Digit [30], i only had to get to 2-8-30 to pop the bugger!
NICE! :D

haha, see your tube vid on master combos, comments Mike :D
<<

Altashot

Post Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:09 pm

Awesome psykro!
Bet it feels real good! A method that works!
Good job.

@ magician59, I did not know about the lockers with the built in lock tid bit. Thanks.

M.
<<

7779jesse

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:18 pm

What program is this and where can i access it?.....Thanks
Next

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks