FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Robotic Safe Cracking

<<

Nickinator

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:21 am

Robotic Safe Cracking

Saw this a while ago, very cool idea, using the ideas of computer brute-forcing and applying them too safes.
It's opening a Sergent and Greenleaf 850 lock.
http://www.kvogt.com/autodialer/
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:49 am

Re: Robotic Safe Cracking

Yeah, that's been around for seeral years now.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

steveslock

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:45 am

We use this at our shop as a selling point for electronic lock upgrades on our safes. The machines are right around $1200 so it doesn't take much to get one.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:26 am

steveslock wrote:We use this at our shop as a selling point for electronic lock upgrades on our safes. The machines are right around $1200 so it doesn't take much to get one.

Thats funny. The people I work for are afraid of technology so they always try to steer people away from electronic locks.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:32 pm

Stevestock,

You have an auto-dialer that dials MP locks? That's not very common even in the locksmith world.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

steveslock

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:13 pm

mdchurchill wrote:Thats funny. The people I work for are afraid of technology so they always try to steer people away from electronic locks.

We love people that have mechanical dial locks because they keep us busy with openings and maintenance.

We do not have one of these dialers, and to be honest with you I did not click on the video as I have seen a couple of this type of video. I am not sure if the autodialers I have seen have the feature that the 800 series S&G requires to push in at zero after the third number. Should only have to add a second motor and a second axis controller for the CNC so nothing special in my eyes. Once they are under a grand we will pick one up.
<<

Nickinator

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:42 am

Interesting project if you wanted to make one yourself, all it would take would be a few stepper motors, the catch would be you'd have to set it up and tailor it to each safe's dial size etc.

Are these a feesable option? I'm guessing a safe opening would run into the 100's of $$s, so something like this wouldn't be too far off?
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams
<<

steveslock

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:41 pm

I made my own CNC plasma table and have been contemplating building one of these but I just do not have the time anymore. To adapt to each safe dial you would just use a dial puller type design with 3 set screws to in a large OD tube to clasp the dial on the inside.

most of the time when we open a mechanical dial it is because they have never had the safe serviced so it is no longer dialing consistently. This is extremely common in floor safes after they get all the dirt and water in them over the course of 20-30 years. I do not think a dialer would work well in this case because even when we have a scope in the safe its really hard to dial in.

That being said people do forget their combo as a customer did yesterday and he was leaving for Europe in the morning. In that case the only real option due to the time constraints was to drill and repair. Most safe openings are in the 100's but can go over a 1,000 depending upon the complexity and if a repair is necessary.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks