FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Gary Floor or wall safe

<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:10 am

Gary Floor or wall safe

I don't know how common these are, but a customer brought this safe in and asked if we could get a combination for him. He found the safe in a house he was doing demolition work on and thought it looked cool. The boss was walking out the back door to go to a trade show when this safe came in. I have been given very little training on safes but I felt confident I could at least look without hurting anything. I opened it up and figured out the combination, cleaned it, lubricated it and re-assembled it in short order. I spent more time making sure I had the absolute correct combination before I called the boss to ask him how much to charge the customer. The boss was thrilled that I was able to service this piece on my own. The customer was thrilled I could service it as well and was very happy with the price.

I was going to take a picture of the internal workings of the safe but forgot to when I had the back off and didn't have time before the customer picked it up. It was fun to work on though at least for this newbie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

bouncer965

Post Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:12 am

Re: Gary Floor or wall safe

Great looking little safe. Congrats on getting the combo too......would love to get my hands on some safe stuff to play around with.
[“A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.”.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bouncer965
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:35 am

Way to get it done. Great looking little safe. How long have you been a Locksmith?
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:08 am

About a month. I wouldn't even refer to myself as a locksmith yet. I'm learning, and I've got a great old teacher. I can do a lot of simple stuff so far like re-keying, master key systems stuff like that. I can change safe combos, find a combo on an open safe etc. The hard lessons are on the way and my teacher is happy with my progress so far. They are paying me commission for my work, teaching me and I am doing things like building the website (shameless plug) www.bullheadlock.com in appreciation for them teaching me the trade. I figure I will stay with them for a few years at least before I get my son out of this particular area.

Edit: Sorry if I gave the wrong impression on getting the combination. The safe was open when the customer brought it in so it's not like I cracked the safe, I just found the combo in the mechanical sense.
<<

bouncer965

Post Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:14 am

Seems likea good little set up ....your learning a trade and getting paid commission too .....great stuff.
[“A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.”.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bouncer965

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks