FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Spline key removal on a S&G 6700?

<<

ChemicalRobot

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:18 pm

Spline key removal on a S&G 6700?

So I recently picked up a used S&G 6700 with plans of mounting it; however, I can't figure out how to remove the spline key so I can get the dial off. Any tips? I can take pictures if necessary.
Howdy!
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:48 pm

Re: Spline key removal on a S&G 6700?

I've always used a pair of dikes pliers. Just don't snip off the top of the spline key or bend it out of shape. It will almost always go back in nice and snug, if it doesn't it should be replaced. But if you are just using it to play with it and not on a real safe, that may not be an issue anyways.
<<

ChemicalRobot

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:20 pm

Farmerfreak wrote:I've always used a pair of dikes pliers. Just don't snip off the top of the spline key or bend it out of shape. It will almost always go back in nice and snug, if it doesn't it should be replaced. But if you are just using it to play with it and not on a real safe, that may not be an issue anyways.

Yeah I've been yanking on it with a pair of pliers, but so far no success. I'm afraid to use too much power because I'm afraid of it breaking.
Howdy!
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:43 pm

Grab the flag part that extends over the spindle, but not enough to cut it. With a tight grip on it, lever the dykes against the wheel pack to gently move the spline key out. Once it is started it will get easier.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 pm

I use a pair of vise grips, lock it on the spline key and then use a flat headed screwdriver and "pry" between the vise grips and drive cam. Normally slides right out.
<<

ChemicalRobot

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:06 am

KokomoLock wrote:I use a pair of vise grips, lock it on the spline key and then use a flat headed screwdriver and "pry" between the vise grips and drive cam. Normally slides right out.

Worked beautifully! Thanks Kokomo.

Wow, I am so glad I purchased this. Safe locks are so cool!
Howdy!

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks