FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

My New Display Case

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:46 pm

My New Display Case

Finally finished (almost) the display/manipulation case for my S&G 6730. Decided not to put brass corners on it as I had originally planned, as the other furniture does not have them, either. This is made entirely with hand tools, except for using a router to cut the channels into which fit the front and back panels.

The frame is white oak, from some property where we lived until last July. Don't know how to drill holes in glass, so the clear front and back are Lexan. The back of the lock is entirely accessible to allow for combination changes.

Still want to have a black nameplate made with gold "S&G 6730" written on it for the bottom front of the frame. Also thought it would look better to not have a cutout holding the combination change key.

Had to try to match the white oak furniture that my wife has had longer than she has had me, or the is no way she would let me keep it on display. :D

Eventually want to make this lock a cutaway on display. That will come when I can find another safe lock with which to practice manipulation . Anybody have one they can sell at a low cost??? If so, please PM me!
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:33 pm

Re: My New Display Case

Already said it once Gordon... but I'll say it again. As you told me about this,
I had imagined it in my mind. But what I was picturing all this time was
nothing like THAT! Absolutely beautiful.... just beautiful. LOVE IT!!

Brilliant work man... well worth the time you put into it.

Also, I meant to ask you... did you find it difficult to get true alignment?
I'm able to get very good alignment when mounting my dials, but it can
sometimes be a little tedious. Eventually, I would'nt mind getting a dial
ring alignment tool. Certainly would be quicker and more certain.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:56 pm

Oldfast,

No real problem with alignment on this one due to the Lexan. Cut them to size, then taped the edges exactly together, then drilled a very small hole where the center of the spindle would go. Removed the tape and separated the pieces. Used a spade bit to cut the spindle hole, a little from each side of each piece to keep the edges from splitting.

Taped the lock in place and used an awl to mark the center of the screw holes, and drilled using a very small bit (yes, hand powered drill for the fun of using it), and gradually larger bits until I had the screw holes the right size. Too large a bit, and it will split and crack the Lexan. Luckily I practiced on a scrap piece of Lexan, or I would have messed up the larger pieces!

Then I put the plastic into the channels of the frame with the lock attached to the rear panel. Set the dial ring in place and installed the dial into the cam. Rested the frame on the back and aligned the dial ring as close to center as I could on the front panel using the dial as a guide. Taped the dial ring in place and removed the dial, then the panels from the frame. Marked the holes for the dial ring, drilled and wiped up the dust and debris. And wiped it again. Then used air from my compressor. And wiped more. And more air. For those who didn't know, Lexan seems to generate a static field that will draw every piece of dust or lint for a 14 mile radius. As I live in the desert, that is a considerable amount of dust! :akimbo:

But that covers the alignment. Again, made easier by stacking the Lexan panels on top of each other and drilling a center hole.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

verz

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:04 pm

Nice case, sometime in the future when things slow down and I get board I am going to get a S&G 6730 to play with.
<<

dicey

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:10 pm

Really nice mate :)!
<<

Cooper

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:35 pm