FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Interesting floor safe story.

<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:14 pm

Interesting floor safe story.

Got a text from a buddy who was working on a floor safe. He says the owner uses the safe every day but today it won't open. So he goes there and he tries all the tricks to get it open. He knows I am pretty good at manipulation so he asks me if I can check it out before he drills it. I ask him some of the symptoms. It sounds to me like the lever spring is broken. So I go to the store this morning and start to work on it. The owner provides the combination to me. The first thing I notice is the door hinge bolts/screws are very loose.

The wheel pack is moving so the cam drive is intact.
I verify all 3 wheels moving independently so there's nothing binding the wheels together.

BUT.. THERES NO CONTACT POINTS!! So now I know the lever is not falling into the gates and the cam. I feeling pretty confident about my broken lever spring theory. Since this safe is built into the floor, how do we convince the lever to fall into place? On a vertically mounted lock gravity would do the work for us but in a horizontal mount situation we have a problem.

I had a plan...

So I dialed the combo, came back to the contact point area as if to retract the bolt and stopped at 0. Then took a rubber mallet and gently tapped the dial in the hopes of making the lever pop into the gates and cam drive. After about 5 light taps I could see the dial start to move on its own as the lever pressed itself into the cam drive. I turned the dial gently so the lever wouldn't get knocked from it position. Success.

Total time: 5 minutes.

It turns out I was correct that the lever wasn't being pushed into position to the cam drive to retract the bolt but I was wrong about the cause of the lever being stuck. I'll let the picture speak for itself.

Needless to say blue threadlocker was used on The lock mount screws and the door hinge bolts. I guess over years of use everything just came loose.

This one of those times you aren't paid for your time you are paid for your experience and trouble shooting skills.

Even though I had the combination I'm still counting it as a manipulation since I had to manipulate the screws out of the way of the lever.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:02 pm

Re: Interesting floor safe story.

An open is an open. :)

I have never seen or heard about something like this. A reminder that it is a good idea to do regular checks. Maybe every two years?

Do you know the manufacturer?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:30 am

Amor Floor Safe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:50 am

Interesting. 6720s were typical for Armor.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks