FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Can anyone help with the age of this Meilink safe?

<<

Mrfoto

Familiar Face

Post Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:07 am

Re: Can anyone help with the age of this Meilink safe?

MartinHewitt wrote:It is difficult to find something about Star Safe. It seems Star Safe started to make safes before Amsec started in 1946. Amsec (or Glenn Halls) bought Star Safe at their very beginning, i.e. around 1946. (Paramount CA is the location of Amsec.) The push dial lock came later. Around 1950 the Star doors could be fitted with standard locks and apparently came with a Yale OC5. I could not find a patent for the push dial lock. My guestimation is, that this safe is from around late 1950s to 1960s. Is it possible that both safes were bought at the same time? The Meilink for books and the Star for cash?

I have no history on the safes whatsoever. But the carrige bolts that held the safe in the outer safe looked unusually pristine. IDK if that means anything (zinc plated) but the rest of the safe (outside) strikes me as in a garage or storage (filthy) yet the bolt heads where super bright and shinny. ?????
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:13 am

The Star was mounted inside the Meilink? Or stored inside the Meilink?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Mrfoto

Familiar Face

Post Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:37 am

It was mounted with 2 carriage bolts. One from the bottom and one from the back.
Previous

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks