FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Need help identifying lock on antique safe

<<

gearhead92

Post Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:21 pm

Need help identifying lock on antique safe

Hello all. Im a fairly new enthusiast and have recently acquired this safe from a local antique shop. Previous owner told me that it was obtained out of Petersburg, Virginia hence "Petersburg Pie Co." on the face. Combination is unknown. I've been trying my hand at manipulation but haven't gotten very far. Havent had success in finding any contact points yet BUT the dial tenses dramatically when pressure is applied Clockwise to opening handle. Direct entry maybe? From the research I have done, the dial appears to be possibly S&G noting the Star for the number indicator and the 20-100 dial with the blank space in between. There are also patent dates located on the dial ring that read "Patented July 2, 1907-Oct. 13 1908". My plan is to manipulate it open however long that may take. Just wanted to get some info on the lock to see what im working with here. Dial spins very freely and door has movement so it's not rusted shut. Also as you can see from the pictures, Millers safe company Baltimore MD USA is also on the door. I tried doing research on them as well but couldnt come up with much or what locks they used on their safes. Also if there are any Virginia folks that know anything about Petersburg Pie Co. id love to get a history lesson as well. Thanks in advance for any info provided.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:52 am

Re: Need help identifying lock on antique safe

There is an S&G lock, where the bolt work movement pushes the fence into the lock. The dialing procedure is nearly normal. Just as the end the dial won't stop itself, but must be stopped at 100. In this case the dial should turn a bit left and right of 100 when you turn the handle. Manipulation should be possible by how much the handle turns or by the shift of these CPs while turning the handle. You will possibly need a spring to put constant torque on the handle. But you could also try to be manually consistent and read the CPs.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

gearhead92

Post Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:18 am

Thanks for the reply martinhewitt! I'll try that tensioning trick. Do you by chance know the model number of the S&G lock you were referring to?
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:23 am

Nope, no number.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Visitor

Post Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:06 am

A weight and a laser pen on the handle ;)

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks