FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

JJ Taylor lock

<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:17 pm

JJ Taylor lock

Even after being away for a while I can still do S&G locks in under 30 minutes but I had a chance to do another JJ Taylor lock and again its got me stumped..
This will be the 4th JJ Taylor that I can't open

I know it's a 3 number and it's a group 2 I can feel the contact points but I can't seem to extrapolate any information from It..

Anyone have any luck with these JJ Taylor locks?
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:28 pm

Re: JJ Taylor lock

The lock, which I can find, look like my S&G No.5. I can imagine four problems with it:
1) The gravity fence might lead to very weak CPs.
2) There is no spring holding the bolt in a fixed position. This might lead to shifts in the CPs.
3) My No.5 does have fixed flies. When one does not expect that it might lead to dialing errors.
4) If it is in an old safe mounting problems, dirt and hard grease might also make manipulation more difficult.

I have not yet manipulated my No.5. Before I mount it I need to improve the beauty of the dial.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:50 pm

I Think the shifting contact points is the problem.. I'm going to give it a few more tries..
<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:23 pm

Here is the lock from a safe upstairs from the one I'm working on.

I think it's safe to assume they are the same..

Further to that I Think I was mistaken when I thought is was a 3 number, I think it's a 4 number combo.

https://flic.kr/p/2jDhjqP
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:52 pm

Both is possible. So your wheel count gave you 4 wheels? Do you get any gates and fail at the end? Or is everything shitty? Btw. the reverse offset in my lock without moveable flies is -2.5 per wheel.

The attached one ins mine. It has a 50-number dial with gap. The latest patent date is an extension to 1871.

PS: Is it a banker's safe? That might have an indirect drive. There are also Taylors with an Automatic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:55 pm

Yes it's a bank safe. Are the jj Taylor bolts retracted based on lock orientation. Meaning if the bolt work is on the right side of the door the dial turns counter clock wise to retract the bolt?

Does anyone have a jj Taylor they can part with.. I have a few S&G group 1 locks I can offer for trade..
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:56 am

I can only find Taylor safes, where the lock points away from the hinges, i.e. on a right-hand door in a right-hand mounting position. I never met an Automatic in person, so I can't say how they feel. My guess is noticeably different from normal locks. The gears should be audible. Without gears the final turn should be right on a right-hand door.
<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:14 am

Next week I will get some pictures of the safe upstairs.
But the bolt definitely retracts with a counter clock wise turn
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:03 am

But no gears?
<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:51 am

<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:37 am

I don't understand your situation. Do you want a long, because the safe is closed or because its location is inconvenient?

I have never seen such a case with three screws on a S&G lock of that kind. Even so I believe the locks in the JJ Taylor safes are S&G locks. The Automatics must be S&G and the drive cam and lever-bolt assembly are really the same as in my lock.

I got my S&G from ebay/US. The case was heavily rusted and is now sand blasted and painted. The dial has still big dings and the nickel is worn away all over the dial. I have to bring it somewhere to get the nickel removed, before I can fill the dings.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks