FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Mosler 301-401 and 302-402 UL Group 1R Combination Pix

<<

Topy

Post Wed May 20, 2020 3:42 am

Mosler 301-401 and 302-402 UL Group 1R Combination Pix

So the post arrived today and with it came some goodies, along with the usual bills ;)

Specifically I scored a couple of Mosler locks in an Auction a while back that took forever to arrive.

Below, for your viewing pleasure is a teardown as far as I was willing to go with it. Which, as it turns out, is not too far. Neither appear to have a regular spline key. I gave what looks to be a (double) spline key interfacing with the central shaft/bolt a pretty solid tug with a pair of pliers and that didn't seem to do me any favours at all besides messing up the brass finish sadly (on the 302-402). The 301-401 appears to have a threaded insert so I'll give that a proper try a bit later too when it comes time to mount it.

Any suggestions on how to dismantle this further would be most welcome. The wheels themselves would be possible to take apart further and if there's significant interest, I might give it a shot (I can see the circlips, but I can already tell they'll be a pain to remove).

They are a very unusual lock design (to me) and the first Mosler locks in my collection.
I'm not sure if the design is standard for them or if the choices here are specific to the group 1/1R locks they produce but some very cool anti-manipulation features as you'll see below!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Topy

Post Wed May 20, 2020 3:42 am

Re: Mosler 301-401 and 302-402 UL Group 1R Combination Pix

And these are the 301-401 photos.

Any questions, I'll do my best to answer. Otherwise enjoy! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

SafecrackinSammmy

Familiar Face

Post Thu May 21, 2020 5:57 am

On the first lock you can use a correct sized flat screwdriver with a tapered tip and use it in the center slot of the spline key to wedge and rock it out some, then use pliers to pull it the rest of the way out.

For the second lock the screw hole you see in the middle of the spline key is tapped for an 8/32 US thread. You can use one of the back cover screws and simply run in the hole to press the spline key out.
<<

Topy

Post Thu May 21, 2020 8:33 am

SafecrackinSammmy wrote:On the first lock you can use a correct sized flat screwdriver with a tapered tip and use it in the centre slot of the spline key to wedge and rock it out some, then use pliers to pull it the rest of the way out.

For the second lock the screw hole you see in the middle of the spline key is tapped for an 8/32 US thread. You can use one of the back cover screws and simply run in the hole to press the spline key out.

Oh awesome. Thanks so much! I'll tear em down again tomorrow or maybe this weekend and see if I can get some closer shots then :)
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu May 21, 2020 12:36 pm

before you attempt to pry out the second spline key, look at the center hole. It is threaded to mate with a lock case screw. If you gently run a case screw into this hole it will "pull" the spline right out. Just like a gear puller. When replacing it, just tap it in, but remember, easy! If these flex to much the fatigue will break them.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks