FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Halls premier spindle driving me insane!

<<

regina

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:50 pm

Halls premier spindle driving me insane!

I am trying to save the spindle from a halls premier lock. I know that it is sandwiched between laminations of the door and is hard to remove. Hard has been an understatement. I was able to remove a core consisting of the first two laminations ( about 3/8" hardplate followed by 3/8" mild) from the front surface of the door and exposed the increased diameter portion of the spindle. It is loose and spins freely but I am still unable to drive it out from the rear. Does anyone have a drawing or a picture of one successfully removed or know what I am doing wrong? I'll post a pic shortly. I'm about ready to give up. :(
<<

regina

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:34 pm

Re: Halls premier spindle driving me insane!

Here is a link to the pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/8024729@N ... 9666536057

PS I am still desperately looking for a wheel pack for this lock (it's the large one)
<<

regina

Post Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:17 am

I found out that there is a second, even larger step behind this one. I'd have to core out an even larger diameter (probably in excess of 2"). These carbide hole saws are getting expensive. I've gone through 4 so far. This seems like a stupid feature. :bird: I get having a larger diameter front so you can't punch the spindle, but making it so it is impossible to remove without destroying the door was dumb. What recourse would someone have had if the dial was smashed off and the spindle damaged by vandals? It would be irreparable.

I surrender on the spindle. :???: I'll let the next guy worry about it. maybe just weld it in place and drill through it and use a standard style spindle.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:14 pm

You would likely have to disassemble the door from the back to remove the spindle. There would be a plate that you would have to remove to remove the spindle. Making the door with the spindle in place would be highly impractical.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks