FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Decoding a cole Steel Safe in a file cabinet

<<

Debbie123

Post Sat May 18, 2019 7:44 am

Decoding a cole Steel Safe in a file cabinet

Hello. I have a Cole Steel file cabinet with the numbers behind the middle drawer for the safe that is part of it. What is the method for decoding? I actually picked the cabinet up at an antique store near Annapolis and it was free. Just waiting for someone to snag it. I am repainting and have new drawer pulls and will be using it for decorative purposes.
Debbie
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat May 18, 2019 8:48 am

Re: Decoding a cole Steel Safe in a file cabinet

This has been gone over many times. You could search and find it easily. Good day.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sat May 18, 2019 2:54 pm

<<

wroundey

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:50 pm

I just picked up a used Cole steel cabinet with a safe behind the right hand door. The previous owner did not have the combination for the lock and had the dial all taped up to prevent the bolt from being used. I found the following code in the back of the cabinet - 703886. I would greatly appreciate some help in decoding this so I can use the safe.

Thanks
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:52 pm

So the door is open?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:43 am

Sent wroundey a PM.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

EmilieMontreal

Post Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:40 am

Hi keypicking community!
My name is Emilie and I live in Montreal. I too have become the owner of an old Cole file cabinet... and its locked safe. My 80 year old neighbor gave it to me when he was moving out of his place. The cabinet has been sitting in a shed for decades and the combination has long been forgotten.

I've been reading all the forum threads on the subject - which led me to discover the serial number behind a drawer: N-208804 (this was pretty exciting actually!). But now I'm stuck and can't find information about how to decode the number.

One thing that worries me is the rust factor. The cabinet is in poor shape and I'm afraid the rust has made its way into the dial itself. It spins really smoothly for the most part but there's a point where I feel something brushing/rubbing. I wonder if that will prevent me from opening it "the regular way".

I intend to put the cabinet in my living room and I'd hate to force open the safe, it's the coolest feature and it'd be really nice to be able to use it too. The smell coming from the whole thing is not the best either so I really need to throw away whatever is in that safe (damp rotting papers it seems).

Here are some pictures - my serial number is: N-208804

Also wondering if the stethoscope way is an option at all for a newbie like me... ?

apologies for this long message and all the questions, any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
<<

EmilieMontreal

Post Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:41 am

<<

Schlocksmith1969

Post Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:34 am

Hi group, I have a Cole Steel cabinet with a combination lock I need to decipher. The code on the back wall of the cabinet is N-803980. The safe is open, so I might want to try the peephole method, but I figured I might get lucky and find that the combination is still the factory setting. I'm going to use it as a tool cabinet at work, maybe I'll spray Snap-On on it and sell it for 5K. Latest estimate from a reputable locksmith is about $200 including service call to decipher. When anything costs that much, I want to find out how to do it myself.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:55 am

Funny nickname!

What's the dial diameter?

Cheers :)
<<

Schlocksmith1969

Post Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:07 am

It's a three-inch diameter.
<<

Qxcitons

Post Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:07 pm

Hey I'm trying to open my cole steel safe and I have the numbers and diameter can anyone help me get the code for the lock? The number on the back is N752168 and the diameter of the lock is 3 inches.
<<

MattWatkins33 +

Post Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:20 pm

Hi,

I have a Cole Steel filing cabinet that the safe is locked on. I have a # of N008320 on the back inner wall of the safe. Any help is appreciated.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks