FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Old Mosler safe with locked inner door, what type lock.

<<

Spencer

Post Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:09 pm

Re: Old Mosler safe with locked inner door, what type lock.

Hi everyone. I Picked up a safe like this yesterday. It’s a mosler with identical looking “Jeweler safe” inside the existing large heavy safe. Lucky for me both doors are open. The problem is that I don’t know the combos or how to properly dial them. Honestly, I know nothing about how safes work. This is a very old safe from inside the local bowling alley. It’s probably around 2,000 pounds. Any help in learning how to operate this would be great. FYI, the large door is open and the handle taped as to not Engage. The dial only rotated slightly between 32 and 36. I’d think if I rotated the handle to lock position, the lock position, the dial would spin freely. There are 2 numbers listed inside the safe. One 5 digit code (hand written) says chest. There is a printed tag with similar 6 digit code. I’d be happy to post images of this if I can find out how to do it on this forum. Maybe those pictures could help with others trying to unlock this type of safe??
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:23 pm

Re: Old Mosler safe with locked inner door, what type lock.

With the main door it is rather easy. You can remove the three screws and then the wheel pack. Each wheel should have a notch on the outer ring pointing to a number. Dialing is similar to a modern lock, but you need to stop at the end, so that the opening in the disc connect to the dial spindle is pointing down.

With the jeweler's chest it is more difficult. Not only the chest does lock, but probably also the lock itself. The back cover is a Locked On Back Cover and the combination must be dialed to a LOBC opening index which is on the dial ring bottom right. Not sure what the best way is to open it. Maybe others here have a good idea. To remove the cover you need to 1) dial the combination, 2) remove the screw, 3) slide the cover away from the gear. If the combination is not right (and the cover not damaged) it will move only slightly to the side and won't come of. Depending on your technical skill it might be best to get a safe tech.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
Previous

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks