FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Remove Chubb spindle

<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:27 am

Remove Chubb spindle

Next problem. I do have this dial and need to straighten the spindle. It would be easier without the dial. Is there a way to remove it? I don't see a pin which can be removed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:18 am

Re: Remove Chubb spindle

And same problem here with this Kromer dial. There is a gray shadow, but that is only a halve circle, so I doubt it is a pin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:08 am

Managed to straighten the Chubb spindle well enough without removal.
<<

L4R3L2

Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:34 am

How did you do it?
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:32 am

With three soft soft pieces (wood, tin, ...) in a vice. Two pieces on the outer edge of one jaw and the other piece in the middle of the other jaw.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:49 pm

For the record: The top of the dial knob is labeled "Chubb" and has an arrow. This can be screwed of. Holding the tiny serrated edge might help. I did press the top onto the table with a rubber in between to increase friction. Removing the cover gives access to a hex nut. When this has been screwed of the spindle can be easily removed. The spindle is square with a cut of edge. So there is only one possible position when it is assembled again.

Different dial, new problem: The bl**dy safe tech who mounted the dial used a wrong spline key and cut and/or wedged the notch open. A drive cam can be screwed on with force, but it will damage the threading of the drive cam. I suppose there are no dies for cutting this threading available? Any other way to salvage this? Edit: I guess I have to correct the damage with a file.
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:50 am

MartinHewitt wrote:Different dial, new problem: The bl**dy safe tech who mounted the dial used a wrong spline key and cut and/or wedged the notch open. A drive cam can be screwed on with force, but it will damage the threading of the drive cam. I suppose there are no dies for cutting this threading available? Any other way to salvage this? Edit: I guess I have to correct the damage with a file.

What thread does it have? I know at least the imperial versions are available as dies, never run into metric versions yet so don't know the sizes.

What I usually use if the thread has just gotten a little smack on it is a thread repair file, like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_restorer

You can find those from automotive part stores that sell tools, should only cost a few euros. Or eBay/Amazon, look for "thread file".
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:07 am

The threading is an UNS 3/8"x30. A 3/8" die would be no problem, but x30 is finer and rarer than UNF. I cleaned up the threads with a fine triangle file. Now only a good groove is still to be made.
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:52 am

MartinHewitt wrote:The threading is an UNS 3/8"x30. A 3/8" die would be no problem, but x30 is finer and rarer than UNF. I cleaned up the threads with a fine triangle file. Now only a good groove is still to be made.

This is one option, seems they have both the tap and a die: https://www.tracytools.com/3-8-x-30-tpi
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:18 am

Wow! Thanks. I'll try to order thwm. Might get useful sometimes.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks