FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Where to find quality mounted locks

<<

Daro

Post Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:05 pm

Where to find quality mounted locks

Hey KP,
Does most of the community buy and mount their own locks or is there a go to spot for purchasing them premounted? I tried mounting my own S&G and failed miserably. I'm not all that handy when it comes to that sort of thing. So I bought a premounted LG3300 but I'd like some variety to my collection.

Thanks,
Daro :safedial:
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:10 pm

Re: Where to find quality mounted locks

Not sure if any retailers have pre mounted locks. I mounted my own and had one from a Lockmasters course I got on ebay. You can buy the plastic mounting plates though for fairly cheap.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:00 pm

Several options here.

1. They pop on eBay far more often than you'd think, particularly S&G ones. They're very often a thick (maybe 10mm) greyish cheap looking plastic and I think they were sold to locksmiths both as manipulation practice stands, and as shop display models. I've seen 67xx, 84xx and 85xx cutaway models on them, and I've also seen them auctioned off as just the stand by itself, no lock.

2. There was someone on here making them in acrylic, VERY nice, with multiple mounting holes for different locks, not just the magic module footprint. I forget who that was.

3. There is a 3D print file floating about the internet somewhere, might be Thingverse.

Hope this helps...

Michael.
<<

Daro

Post Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:50 pm

Great tips so far thanks so much. Just this evening I got a reply from the sales dept. at MBA locks online store where I bought the LG3300 premounted and they said they will mount any they have for a very fair price just in case anyone else is looking for such a service. They do only have two cutways SG 6730 and LG3300 but are will to mount any of their non-cutaways on the plastic locksmith practice mounts if you don't want the hassle of it. I will definitely keep an eye on eBay as I don't want to have to pay a priemium on all my locks.

https://mbausa.com/s-g-mounted-6730-cut ... te-finish/

Thanks,
<<

Squelchtone

Post Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:11 am

Daro wrote:Great tips so far thanks so much. Just this evening I got a reply from the sales dept. at MBA locks online store where I bought the LG3300 premounted and they said they will mount any they have for a very fair price just in case anyone else is looking for such a service. They do only have two cutways SG 6730 and LG3300 but are will to mount any of their non-cutaways on the plastic locksmith practice mounts if you don't want the hassle of it. I will definitely keep an eye on eBay as I don't want to have to pay a priemium on all my locks.

https://mbausa.com/s-g-mounted-6730-cut ... te-finish/

Thanks,

Wait, mounting a safe lock to a plastic mount is a hassle for you? It's part of the fun and it's honestly not that complicated.. 3 or 4 screws, cutting the spindle to correct length using a hack saw, centering the dial ring, so the dial turns smoothly, adjusting the tightness of the dial before inserting the spline key.

What steps are giving you trouble and have you watched the video of an S&G lock being mounted to a safe door? check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjmLG8tNfWQ

Squelchtone
<<

Daro

Post Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:57 am

So I did watch the video and mounted my SG with help. I had trouble centering dial, cutting spindle cleanly to the proper length, yes literally all the mechanical and constructing parts of the process. Mostly this is due to very poor vision. Also despite the hole being quite far in to my block my wood mount still split on me. I also did not have or at the time was even aware of the dial centering tool. As it is doing the actual manipulation must be done under high magnification for me but I still enjoy solving them. I can appreciate the fun of assembling a lock but for me in my situation it is just a chore that I'd rather avoid.

Thanks,
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:53 pm

What's up with your vision mate? I may be able to help there. PM me if you like.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks