FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Next Combination Lock

<<

Ironwill11

Post Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:51 pm

Next Combination Lock

Hello Everyone,

After working on a 6730 and a lagard 3330 I was wondering what would be the next lock to work on? Also does anyone know of any for sale or want to get rid of any?

Will
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:56 am

Re: Next Combination Lock

6642? Another 3330?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:12 pm

A more verbose answer:

It is not like that if you can open one 6730 or 3330 the next one will be the same. Especially the 3330 can vary and also wear and age can lead to a lock behaving differently. Suitable lock models are all Group 2 locks from S&G (most common 6730, 6642), LG (3330, 1800) and others. Get what you can get, new or dirty, whatever, as long as it is working. The SG 6642 has false gates, which would be a completely new experience for you.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

safecracker33

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:46 pm

ilco possibly or chubb if you want something more difficult?
<<

Ironwill11

Post Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:58 pm

Thanks everyone,

I am still trying to perfect a mounting system.

Will
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:29 pm

I have to types of mounting.

1) On a wooden board with wood screws. That is rather easy and cheap.
2) On a safe door. The cheapest and smallest safes where such a lock can be mounted cost below 200 Euro. The dial ring can be either screwed or taped to the door. Not cheap, but magnetic microphones work.

Depending on where you live it is easier or more difficult to get certain brands. Never found an ILCO in Europe and got only one Chubb lock, but without dial.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:51 pm

Adding a location would help find people that could sell stuff to you.

You could go for a Diebold 177 series. Obsolete but still a neat group 2 lock. For mounting, a simple wood board works, or they do make really nice plastic stands with holes in the correct positions.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Ironwill11

Post Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:16 pm

I am in NJ. Where do you buy a plastic stand? I struggle with making something the right distance for the spindle.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:33 pm

Ironwill11 wrote:I am in NJ. Where do you buy a plastic stand? I struggle with making something the right distance for the spindle.

Make something with a normal thickness like plywood or something like it. Then mount your lock, mount your dial ring, run your dial spindle though the front and through the drive cam. Then when you have the spindle at the correct handing, and correct tightness mark with a sharpie on the spindle and that will be where you cut with a hacksaw, angle grinder or dremel. Take the spindle off the mount, thread the drive cam back on down below where you are going to cut, make the cut and then remove the drive cam. By putting the drive cam on before you cut this will correct any damage to the threads you might make while cutting. Then put it all back together and start spinning.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:43 pm

Ironwill11 wrote:I am in NJ. Where do you buy a plastic stand? I struggle with making something the right distance for the spindle.

The places I know of you need to be a locksmith to order from. http://mbausa.com/training-aids/lock-mounts-for-training/
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:06 pm

Riyame wrote:The places I know of you need to be a locksmith to order from. http://mbausa.com/training-aids/lock-mounts-for-training/

It says there
mbausa wrote:Log into your account. Products restricted to security professionals are only visible if you are logged in.

I am not logged in and I see the lock stands. So I assume that they are not restricted and
mbausa wrote:Items not marked as restricted may be purchased by the general public.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks