FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

increasing accuracy, reliability and consistency readings

<<

castle 2

Familiar Face

Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:25 pm

increasing accuracy, reliability and consistency readings

Is there any viability behind the idea of making a clip on dial attachment to increase the size of the dial, thereby bumping up the distance between the dial division markers, and hence making any perceived alterations in contact readings larger and easier to identify?
<<

castle 2

Familiar Face

Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:05 pm

Re: increasing accuracy, reliability and consistency reading

Ps. Or possibly an attachment to the dial similar to those disabled-driver steering wheel attachments, and like the ones they have on forklift trucks, the little spinning knob, it would make you more able to keep track of the count of full turns of the dial during combination entry and during manipulation, along with making it more ergonomically comfortable to 'bounce', rock or see-saw between your number division markers and contact readings and back to the next division marker, to complete your graphs...

Does any of this have any validity at all?
If im just chatting shit please tell me...
crossing paths with people who have spent all day panicking and FRANTIC, desperately trying to recall the combination of a key operated lock
<<

madsamurai

Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:59 pm

There are a few good ways to increase reading accuracy that I know of, mostly from other posts here... Magnifiers are easy and really helpful, try searching the forum here for vernier scales, and Oldfast did some cool posts experimenting with laser pointers. Personally (and this is just opinion, and not justified by experience or anything) it seems to me like it's better to learn the hard way and get used to judging the dial by eye... I say that because I don't know if I'll always have the option of using those things and don't want to be disabled without them.

As for counting turns and such, with some practice you can get pretty good pretty quickly at riding your finger around the dial and doing full turns without losing contact with the dial. I'll sometimes set a mounted lock next to me on my desk and just practice spinning back and forth stopping on the same number each time while I watch TV or whatever. I feel like anything physically attached to the wheel would be in my way and likely throw things out of balance or come loose at inopportune times, and ultimately slow things down more than help.

Again, just my 2 cents... always good to experiment and think outside the box, too.
<<

castle 2

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:58 am

madsamurai wrote:Again, just my 2 cents... always good to experiment and think outside the box, too.

When it comes to thinking outside the box, I have been playing around making a few progressively-pinned locks in an effort towards improving my spp picking technique, and carried the thinking across to the combination lock that is currently in contention to be crpwned as the four-wheel - Group -2-LaGard shaped straw that causes my mental relocker to fire, and me end up with an NHS party psck...
Is it a reasonable enough method to 'progressively-crack' a combination by for example

1 setting wheels 1&2,then trying to distinguish, identify and pin down the values of the remaining wheels.

2 do the same but set wheels one and four, then two and three stc...

Obviously would be a pain redialking the known wheels in evsry number division cgecbed.

Just wondering how much worth anyone thibks might be gotten through doing it...?
crossing paths with people who have spent all day panicking and FRANTIC, desperately trying to recall the combination of a key operated lock
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:41 am

It is certainly beneficial to get some experience with a 3330 before starting with an 1800. With a 3330 it is good to start with a known combination to learn how different the wheels behave from a 6730. After this the triumph to conquer two numbers of a three- or four-wheel lock is rather shallow.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks