FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

LG 3330 Group 2M ???

<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:19 am

LG 3330 Group 2M ???

On ebay is at the moment this lock: https://www.ebay.de/itm/263496614390
On cover is "3330" and "Group 2". On the side is a sticker with "Group 2M". It looks like a 3330, but has an additional black part. Does someone know what this is?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:26 am

Re: LG 3330 Group 2M ???

That almost looks like it is set up to work with an alarm. Like you dial the combination off by 10 numbers and that black piece drops in and loses contact setting off the alarm.

I do not know this for sure but it resembles something I have seen before and can't remember where.
<<

madsamurai

Post Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:40 am

Weird... that is interesting. Looks like it's attached to wheel 3, and seems to be blocking a second gate on that wheel... from the open gap on the side of the casing there, I'd expect some other mechanism (time lock maybe?) would block that arm from pivoting and allowing the fence to fall into that second gate. Looks like it pivots in about the middle of that black piece, so there'd need to be room for the back end of it to pivot outward. Just a guess, tho. Not sure how that plays to increase manipulation resistance, and whether it's a custom job or factory. My 3330 doesn't have anything like that, and the 3332 2M has the more traditional tomahawk-style lifter arm. Curious...

@mdc5150, yeah, I was also thinking maybe switches, going on the second cutout on the other side. I have seen a few locks with switches in those positions, one will alert if the wheel is turned and one will alert if the lock is opened, I believe.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:18 pm

My 3390s have a thin wall opposing the bolt which can be cut out to form the same space as in this lock. My 3330 doesn't have this. If the lock can be used as it is, then I assume manipulation is easier, because the high point of the lever can be easily detected and next to it must be the real gate.

I have no lock with a cut out near the bolt or the possibility to do this in any LG I have, but I have one with a pin blocking the bolt which must be retracted electrically.

PS: Btw. what is an "under the cabinet file"?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:55 pm

That cutout is for an alarm contact and the black part is part of the "misdial by 10" mechanism to set it off. I can get pictures later of a similar lock I have.
<<

castle 2

Familiar Face

Post Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:40 pm

Jaakko Fagerlund wrote:That cutout is for an alarm contact and the black part is part of the "misdial by 10" mechanism to set it off. I can get pictures later of a similar lock I have.

Would you please attach me cc to those pictures you speak of please? I am intrigued by the 'combo plus ten' arrangement of which you speak...
Are other locks available with this feature?
How would you go about manipulation of such a lock, without using the words 4amp drill,carbide,or drill bits....?
crossing paths with people who have spent all day panicking and FRANTIC, desperately trying to recall the combination of a key operated lock
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:01 am

castle 2 wrote:
Jaakko Fagerlund wrote:That cutout is for an alarm contact and the black part is part of the "misdial by 10" mechanism to set it off. I can get pictures later of a similar lock I have.

Would you please attach me cc to those pictures you speak of please? I am intrigued by the 'combo plus ten' arrangement of which you speak...
Are other locks available with this feature?
How would you go about manipulation of such a lock, without using the words 4amp drill,carbide,or drill bits....?

Ah, totally had forgotten to take the pics.

There is nothing special to manipulating a lock with alarm contacts.
<<

castle 2

Familiar Face

Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:41 am

Confused with how working your way around the dial to get contact point readings wouldn't activate the alarm feature?
crossing paths with people who have spent all day panicking and FRANTIC, desperately trying to recall the combination of a key operated lock
<<

Squelchtone

Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:46 pm

castle 2 wrote:Confused with how working your way around the dial to get contact point readings wouldn't activate the alarm feature?

The alarm is not monitoring for someone manipulating, you can spin the dial all you want it wont go off.

If the combination to the lock is 20-40-60 and you dial 20-40-60 and then back to wherever the drop in is, the lock will open and no alarm.

If a robber has a gun to your head and you are "under duress", you would instead dial 20-40-50 and then back to the drop in, the lock will still open, but a silent duress alarm will be triggered when the fence goes into the gates and that black plastic piece pushes against a switch which in your photos is missing. I have one of these locks and will try to post some photos.

The 3rd wheel has 2 gates in it, 10 numbers apart. No matter what you set the combination to, the "duress combination" is always 10 numbers less on the 3rd number. if you used a change key and made the new combination 10-20-66 then the duress combo would be 10-20-55

Manipulation wise, I do not know off hand if this feature makes the LG any easier to manipulate, other than you have a better chance to find a gate on the 3rd wheels, the other wheels you have to map out manually like on a normal lock without any additional gates or alarm features.

Squelchtone
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:06 pm

Thanks! This all makes sense!

From the photo on ebay the alarm lever should be very visible on an AWx graph - unless the lever is moving really easily.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks