FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Replace pressed S&G dial spindle?

<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:08 am

Replace pressed S&G dial spindle?

I do have here an older S&G dial where the threading was mostly removed from the spindle. I want to use it for manipulation when traveling and need a short spindle to mount it on a sheet. So is it possible to replace a spindle?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:21 am

Re: Replace pressed S&G dial spindle?

Sure. Pull off the old one and install new. It is press fit, so to pull it off put the old one in a vice, clamp a slide hammer to the dial and whack it out, should come off quite easily. But do note the position of the keyway in the spindle. To install new one, align it with the hole and check the keyway is in the right position and tap it in. If the hole is too loose, use Loctite 648 or similar. If it feels too tight, heat up the dial in boiling water to expand the hole.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:56 am

Thanks!
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:51 pm

Should I "destroy" the threading like in the original pressed spindle?

Btw. it is a Rochester Zamak dial. I assume that they were produced in so large volumes that it is not of any special historical value.
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:20 am

MartinHewitt wrote:Should I "destroy" the threading like in the original pressed spindle?

Btw. it is a Rochester Zamak dial. I assume that they were produced in so large volumes that it is not of any special historical value.

Could you post a picture of that? I've usually seen straight jnurled ends on the spindles, never a destroyed thread.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:49 am

Above the end of the removed spindle. Bottom spindle which I want to insert.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:56 pm

Ah, they have turned down the end a bit and knurled it. Would be best to knurl it, but other option is to thread the dial and then Loctite the spindle in it. requires care to get the threads square.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks