FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Old Combination Lock

<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:35 pm

Re: Old Combination Lock

Got a dial for this lock. Very good quality with a 6-lever lock built in. The spindle is rather long (something like 30cm). I do not see how to remove it. I do not want to cut a historic spindle. I would like to mount everything. So what do I do?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Cheesehead

Familiar Face

Post Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:19 pm

MartinHewitt wrote:Got a dial for this lock. Very good quality with a 6-lever lock built in. The spindle is rather long (something like 30cm). I do not see how to remove it. I do not want to cut a historic spindle. I would like to mount everything. So what do I do?

Someone else made a simulated thick wall safe by taking two steel plates and fixing them apart from each other. I can’t remember who but it was a Diebold 177. That would probably work well here since you want to leave the spindle intact.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:20 pm

I made a mount for this lock with three wooden boards - one for the dial, one for the lock and one for the spacing.

Today I also manipulated it. I never had a lock showing all gate so well. Each gate is 3/4 numbers deep and 3 to 5 numbers wide showing in the order 3/2/1. That is what I had expected, because the fence looks to me really tilted.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:13 pm

Nice! Always feels good to get an oldie going again, eh?

If ya ever feel up to it, would be nice to see pics of your mount.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:18 pm

Martin - someone on eBay was selling this lock and practice stand a few weeks ago.

Two clear plastic plates, with four long bolts between them. Infinitely adjustable for spindle length. Like all beautiful designs, I don't know why I never thought of it myself, it's so obvious when you see the picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:28 am

Here it is. Not as versatile as the plexiglas mount, but nicer for display. The two lines in the non-numbered area of the dial mark the contact points. The wood is beech from waste of a kitchen setup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:27 am

MartinHewitt wrote:Here it is. Not as versatile as the plexiglas mount, but nicer for display. The two lines in the non-numbered area of the dial mark the contact points. The wood is beech from waste of a kitchen setup.

What type of lever lock does it have, as in what key it is? Never seen a lever lock in a dial.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:44 am

It is a 6-lever chubb-type lock. The key is symmetric and can be inserted either way. Dial locks at 50. There is another lock type for dials, which is like a mini pork pie: http://blog.tresoroeffnung.de/2010/09/2 ... protector/ (Don't know if this was in a dial, but I know a dial with that type of lock.)
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:42 am

I'm now sure the lock in the link is from a dial too. The full dial I know is from Franz Garny dial with a newer 15B (serial in the 50000s). Mine is a Franz Leicher dial.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:30 am

Manipulation graph. The fence is 0.3mm thicker near the lever than near the tip. I guess the guy filing the fence was not as careful as he should have been.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:34 am

The 2 marks on the dial between 100-1, they are your contact points? Neat looking lock and mount. What do the letters on the back on the lock stand for? German for LOBC?(Locked On By Combination).
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:38 am

55-18-73 is that what I see in your graph?
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:41 am

Yes, the two marks are the location of the CPs. The numbers on the graph are from a sheet I stuck to the dial for manipulation.

DRGM = Deutsches Reich Gebrauchsmuster. I assume you know Deutsches Reich. Gebrauchsmuster is a type of patent. I think it is cheaper, easier to get and not as long lasting. Maybe that was for the changable key hole pipe.

I used 56-19-74 to open the lock. W3@L55 did not open.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:50 am

Disassembled the setup for you. Key bitting diameter is 14mm. One of the springs seems to be missing, but I am not sure because there is nearly nothing in the lever which obstructs the movement of the bolt stump.
<<

Oldfast

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:08 am

What a neat old lock. And I know it can be a pain sometimes,
but I do appreciate the photos! The mount btw, looks great.

It's just nice to see the dial up close, and even the graph.
Really helps put your whole experience into context.

Another one for the shelf :)
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
PreviousNext

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks