FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Field & Stream gun safe (by Stack-on) direct entry

<<

madsamurai

Post Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Field & Stream gun safe (by Stack-on) direct entry

OK, so my theory checks out after changing the combination on this one. The other safe at work will be my verification... here's how it goes:

1) pick any gate on w3
2) find any gates on w2 and w1 (took less than 30 seconds on this one)
3) feel w3 gates for grindy/free-wiggle, free-wiggle is true gate

4) Now, we're going to take that w3 number and make a list of 13 numbers (one will be the same hole and excluded, one is an imaginary hole in the middle of the gate but needs to be included because we don't know where the gate is on the wheels yet). The formula is simple: for w2 subtract 1 from w3#, that's your base, then add/subtract 7.69 repeatedly until you come around to the starting point. For w1 it's the same except you subtract 2 from your w3 number. How'd I get 7.69? 100 increments divided by 13. With the easy tolerances of these locks, we could round to hole numbers for our list and still hit what we need, but for this example I'll keep it strict...

So in my case my w3 is at 42.

w2 will be on one of these: 2.55, 10.24, 17.93, 25.62, 33.31, 41, 48.69, 56.38, 64.07, 71.76, 79.45, 87.14, 94.83 (can't be 41 because w3 pin is there)
Park w1 on the gate we found in step 2 and check these numbers for gates on w2... I had gates at 9, 12, 22, 38, 47, 58, 72, and 81, so I actually have only one match at 72 (and that was my number)

w1 will be on one of these: 1.55, 9.24, 16.93, 24.62, 32.31,40, 47.69, 55.38, 63.07, 70.76, 78.45, 86.14, 93.83 (71 is the same pin hole as previous 72, so excluded 70.76)
park 2&3 on their known gates and check these until it opens. We could compare gates here if we had more than one gate match on w2, record our matches and end up having to try a few combinations to get the right ones, but I'm guessing it'll never end up being more than 3 matches on a wheel. But since we only had 1 match on w2, when we find our gate here we're open. In this case w1 was at 25.

5) Cold beer.

I'm betting I can get into that other safe at work in less than 15 minutes... :)

Thoughts?
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:21 am

Looks like you liked the cheap approach I suggested lol
Your program sounds good. Thanks to Jaakko that pointed out the method to identify the true gate on wheel 3 and to your study of the lock, it should be very easy to open these safes.

I have the impression that the false gates are not evenly spaced around the wheels. It may be the picture prospective. Otherwise it could be possible to identify the true gate by knowing the gates position.

Well done guys, this is a precious thread for dealing with these safes.

Good luck with your safe :)
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:27 pm

Damn Chad!! This is looking brilliant. The numbers seem to add up.
Can't wait to see if the other safe supports your findings. Very exciting!

p.s.
madsamurai wrote:.....How'd I get 7.69? 100 increments divided by 13.....
I'm sure it's obvious and I'm being nothing short of a dunce here... but why 13?
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:29 am

Oldfast wrote:
I'm sure it's obvious and I'm being nothing short of a dunce here... but why 13?

Because there is 13 position for the driver pin in each disk to be in, so that is all the possible locations.
<<

madsamurai

Post Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:04 pm

Jaakko Fagerlund wrote:
Oldfast wrote:

Because there is 13 position for the driver pin in each disk to be in, so that is all the possible locations.

Technically there are only 12 holes/positions, but if there wasn't a gate cut in the wheel there would be a 13th hole where the gate is. So the hole spacing is actually 1/13 of the full rotation.
<<

Oldfast

Post Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:17 pm

Ah yes. You had mentioned 12 holes. PLUS the gate though gives us the 13. Ok
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

madsamurai

Post Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:23 pm

Throwback to an old thread, but I finally got a chance to try out my theory on a safe in the field today. I had a little trouble getting w1, however the math still pans out... I was a digit off on w2 with the slop in the gate, so I still had a deep drop with good w3 and w2 numbers, but my w1 calculated numbers were off just enough to miss the w1 gate. Ended up brute forcing every 2.5 digits and found it quick enough (was the same # as w3, and surprised me when it opened there). All told, in and out in about 45 minutes with some chatting and explaining and setup/cleanup time included. I'm rather pleased :)
<<

L4R3L2

Post Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:11 pm

Great thread! Thank you for bringing it back to the top.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:57 am

madsamurai wrote:All told, in and out in about 45 minutes with some chatting and explaining and setup/cleanup time included. I'm rather pleased :)

That's impressive! Congratulations :)
<<

edocdab

Familiar Face

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:34 pm

Indeed very enjoyable to go over the details in this thread. World of difference with the first open you did and thanks for reporting the results
My youtube channel: https://youtube.com/c/edocdab
<<

madsamurai

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:36 pm

Thanks, guys... Glad you enjoyed revisiting this as much as I did.

edocdab wrote:World of difference with the first open you did...

Heh, yeah... It's amazing how much easier it can be to open a lock when you know how it works ;)
<<

Even-flo

Post Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:13 am

I am a total rookie that's bad at math! I have recently taken on a Field and Stream 10 for my son that cannot remember his combination. There are no exterior serial #s as I am sure you all well know. I've read this recent formula on how to open this guy but I'm not getting the information. How do you tell which wheel your making contact with much less how to park one of them? Your directions are excellent but not for this not to bright dad. HELP!
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:00 am

It sounds like your son has a project.

madsamurai wrote assuming the reader is familiar with manipulation. So he focused on the lock-specific things. Your son would need to learn first what generally manipulation is and how it works. There are a few PDFs about safe combination lock manipulation online and now at least two or three series on YT.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Even-flo

Post Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:35 pm

Thank you very much for the feed back! I will pass on this information. I have the time, only because I'm retired and it's winter with 8" of snow on the ground. 9 more coming soon. I will give it my best shot before I send it back to him unopened. Love my kids and will need their help some day, so what the hell? Not like he is one of those youngsters sitting around playing video games all day collecting Joe Biden's hand outs. He works for his living. Learned that from his broken down old man. You all take care and chat soon.
<<

Lou-z66

Post Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:53 pm

I'm working on the same Field and Stream safe trying a lot of the stuff you guys have written. Think I'm getting somewhere not quite sure what you mean by free wiggle think I'm having a hard time finding true gate on Wheel three. Any thoughts on that
PreviousNext

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks