FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Question about Mosler TRTL30 - Automatic Interlock

<<

MtnMann

Post Mon May 18, 2015 10:20 am

Question about Mosler TRTL30 - Automatic Interlock

Hello,

I just acquired a monster Mosler TRTL30 safe.

It looks exactly like this one: (I just don't have a good pic of mine handy)
Mosler5_zps592b8767.jpeg

Mosler6_zps68ce10d0.jpeg

Although the measurements are slightly different (within 1"), it appears to be one of the last two on this spec sheet:

http://www.empiresafe.com/uploads/0000/ ... _Safes.pdf

I don't know how to tell if mine is the "Full Bodied" version as my model# is blank but it appears to be due to the weight.

Moving it was sure a challenge... My backhoe barely was able to lift it! (5700lbs!)

I have a couple questions...

Both mine and the one pictured above have the automatic interlock feature disabled with a bracket screwed to the bolt cover.

IMG_3239.JPG

Does anyone have any knowledge on these that might shed light on whether or not I should use that interlock feature?
I can see how it is obviously there to protect damaging the bolts if the 1000lb. door is slammed shut with the bolts extended but I'm not sure why it would have been disabled on both safes in the same way.

Also, I damaged the dial in the process of getting through my doorway and am wondering if anyone knows a source for replacement dial? Are these plastic dials just pressed on the shaft? Can I upgrade to a metal one? (it's a 302-402 BP-800 lock - which I have not manipulated... yet :D )

IMG_3231.JPG

IMG_3230.JPG

IMG_3236.JPG

Thanks in advance for any helpful info...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon May 18, 2015 1:58 pm

Re: Question about Mosler TRTL30 - Automatic Interlock

This safe has a pretty serious rating. Someone purchasing this container would normally be securing insured property. The insurance company would be none to happy to see part of the security of the safe disabled if there were a theft. This was probably done for transporting the container and should have been reconnected before use. There is no good reason for not having this extra protection that I can think of. But if you are getting an insurance break for using this, then it should be a fully functional unit.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

MtnMann

Post Wed May 20, 2015 10:52 pm

Well I can't see how this would have any effect on security as it only affects the safe while open. It seems more like a damage control device from reckless slamming of the door. I just find it strange that the only other one I find on the internet has the same modification. Hmmm...
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu May 21, 2015 3:53 pm

Thanks mntmann, you are correct . I was reading this as "relocker", Duh! This will teach me to answer these things while I'm tired. It will add to the life of the container by protecting the boltwork, so I would use it.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks