FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Looking for some help. Old sentry safe. First Manipulation.

<<

Metalnerd

Post Sun May 03, 2015 12:39 pm

Looking for some help. Old sentry safe. First Manipulation.

Hey there everyone! Finally got around to registering an account to get started on my long journey of understanding safe manipulation!

Let me start off by saying im am a complete NEWB when it comes to this, most of my information comes from various sites (including this wonderful forum) and pdf files explaining everything from lock mechanisms to graphic, but I ran into a snag... I have an old sentry safe, given to me by my grandmother in the event of her death but I lost the combination for it, hence me wanting to try manipulating it. I feel like I should try and do it this way instead of cracking it due to money reasons and a personal interest in learning this skill but enough beating around the bush. This is what I found out:

After doing tons of research online I discovered that my sentry safe is difficult to find, but this is the internet gosh dangit so there MUST be a picture of the safe I won somewhere right?

BOOM! FOUND IT! (http://images1.showmethead.com/nlarge/1 ... 061129.jpg)

After a little more research I found out that the combination is performed in a L-R-L fashion due to instruction from another ebay listing where the seller contacted sentry (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sentry-Safe-SP- ... 5b113147c6)

Now for my experience so far. Trying to perform what I learned online, I figured out that there are only 2 wheels on this safe with the 3rd being the one actually connected to the dial. The only thing I was able to hear was the wheel clicks and not the contact points so I tried putting pressure on the handle while turning the dial and I Noticed the gates. I did this all by feel at first but then I decided to write down what I had found and how large these gates were. I found that the largest gate was between 63 and 67.5(ish). This is by far the widest, being larger than most of the others by almost 2 increments. Im assuming that this is actually the true gate, as I have heard from alot of posts that the largest gate is the true gate and if its on the dial connected to the wheel then it can most likely also be the last number in the combination.

After a round of graphing I kept getting flat graphs with no other indications (so im assuming im doing this incorrectly in my technique with engaging the wheels, either that or this safe does not graph through false gates.) One thing remained consistent however, 63-67.5 remained the largest gate. So that brings me to this post. Im either missing the concept of parking and engaging the wheels correctly or im wrongly assuming that 63-67.5 is the true gate on the dial wheel. In very basic terms (as im still learning the terminology of this all) what should I be doing from this point on? For example: should I start graphing after turning left to 0 3 times and then graph through each passing of zero as each wheel engages or what? ANY help would be super appreciated! I CANNOT wait to get into this safe. Also, im kinda proud ive figured this much out after only messing with this for 2 or 3 days in short bursts. Thank you guys, cant wait to hear form you! :hbg:
<<

keymaster1053

Post Sun May 03, 2015 5:06 pm

Re: Looking for some help. Old sentry safe. First Manipulati

Hello Metalnerd,
Glad to see you joined. Just so you know, nobody here will give info to open a safe to someone who's only post is "how do I crack this safe" as you obviously could be a crook trying to open someone else's safe. I'm sure that's not the case, but we have to play it safe. (no pun intended) Enjoy your time here, and especially, try out the chat, so we can get to know you a bit. Then you'll get all the info you need. Also use the search feature, I'm sure you will learn a lot from what's here.
Keymaster1053
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sun May 03, 2015 5:29 pm

viewtopic.php?f=100&t=9956

Hello,
Welcome.
Your safe looks like the one I reset the combination on.
Mine is a Sentry 1330. I would guess the insides are similar. Some times seeing the working parts helps.
<<

Metalnerd

Post Sun May 03, 2015 7:39 pm

Yeah, ive only seen a handful of them on the internet. The safe was given to me by my grandmother when she died. Ive only seen he inside of it once when I was very little. Im guessing its over 30 years old since the model is around te same age as the 1330 value guard.
<<

Metalnerd

Post Sun May 03, 2015 8:38 pm

also, if neded I can provide the will, and death certificate in pictre format to clear some air.
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Sun May 03, 2015 9:49 pm

Hi & welcome to the forum!

It sounds like your priority is in learning about manipulation, however if opening the safe is more important, you can get the combination from Sentry. You will need to send them notarised documents proving ownership of the safe.

You mention feeling for contact points. This would be the procedure if you were working on a spring lever fence, friction fence, or gravity fence type lock. Your lock does not have contact points.

If you read the material on site here regarding manipulating direct entry type combination locks, you will find the relevant procedures.

With some perseverance, you'll get it open.

...Mark
<<

Metalnerd

Post Sun May 03, 2015 11:11 pm

Thank you mark, Im going to do a little bit more research tomorrow and see what else I can find. I think finding that true gate is a very good start, I talked to some people on the chat about getting some pictures up as well. Im just concerned if my assumption of the true gate at 63-67.5 is a solid thought or not. Then its just a matter of either brute forcing in incriments of 5 or finding a way to manipulate the rest of the wheels in the correct way.
<<

bpeterson87

Post Mon May 04, 2015 8:36 am

Welcome metalnerd, I actually have posted a thread with my first manipulation being a Sentry as well. I'm going to go at it today until I get it and will post the results. I think it's great you were able to find what you think is the gate on the 3rd wheel, and by the numbers/logic you shared, you're probably on the right track. I don't know any more than you but this site is very helpful and the people here are great. Look up mikeh's opening of a Sentry as he was extremely detailed with pictures and a good story. It was his first as well. Also, altashot and oldfast have some information in their threads that you will find helpful. Good luck and happy learning!
<<

Metalnerd

Post Mon May 04, 2015 11:59 am

Thanks dude, Yeah im pretty sure that the gate I found is the true gate and the final number is somewhere close to 65 ( I assume its the final number since it would make sense that the drive is on the outside of the wheels. So im going to BF it in intervals of 3, just to make sure I dont miss the gates on the other 2 wheels. Ive learned a ton in the short span of time ive been lurking this site. BF'ing is going to take a while (1089 possible if my math is correct (33x33)) but If it takes me roughly 10 seconds to rule out each combination it will take me approx. 10 days to get it open if I spend about and hour and a half each day. Im optimistically thinking that im gonna hit the combo at about the halfway point. Only time will tell! Good luck with yours!
<<

Metalnerd

Post Mon May 04, 2015 5:19 pm

198 down, 891 more to go! no progress yet but i have a feeling im getting closer.
<<

bpeterson87

Post Mon May 04, 2015 11:01 pm

Keep at it bud and be sure to post your results!
<<

Metalnerd

Post Tue May 05, 2015 9:44 am

396 down, another 198 today! ill make sure to post a comprehensive post of what I did exactly to let you all know and whats inside IF i get it open. I just hope 65 is the number I should be using for the gate otherwise this is all for nothing and im back to the drawing board! haha! Gotta say, im super excited about this. Cant wait to start looking at purchasing safes at auctions and learning more.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue May 05, 2015 11:32 am

A big welcome to you sir.

And congrats on both the research you've done & the progress you've made. You've done your homework.
It sounds like you're not only interested in opening the safe you currently have, but getting more & learning
more. Safe manipulation is a wonderfully gratifying journey filled with both frustration and exciting thrills!

Information flows more freely here than anywhere I know. But even here, as Keymaster mentioned, there's
still a degree of caution when it comes to first time safe cracking posts. Stick around for a bit and you'll find
this place very helpful though. But even then answers will sometimes come slowly... or sometimes not at all.
That's when diligence pays off and often times is even more gratifying to have figured it out on your own.

As you're currently doing, brute force is an option if you have indeed found wheels 3's (drive wheel) gate.
Which it seems you have. If you're interested in taking readings instead, then continue to experiment with
wire or lasers for a marker and consistent tension on the handle via weights or spring-pull.

Whether you're brute forcing or taking readings, the most important thing is to understand wheel movement.
HERE'S an article that probably didn't turn up in your search (since it doesn't deal with safes). Most of the
article is of no interest to you... except the first section entitled "Wheel Pack & Interaction". This should help.

Take note that in your safe the drive wheel is furthest from the dial. It sets at the other end of the wheel
pack... just the opposite of my diagram for Slaymakers. HOWEVER, that makes no difference at all. In fact,
you could manipulate your safe while visualizing my diagram and still be correct. The drive wheel still picks
up wheel 2, which in turn picks up wheel 1. Visualizing wheel movement is the most crucial part of spinnin'.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Metalnerd

Post Tue May 05, 2015 12:09 pm

Thank you Oldfast! I actually discovered which wheels were being picked up by sound. I noticed wheel two was SLIGHTY muffled compared to wheel one when it picked up (wheel one being closest to the door. im at 37 for my second number currently (going by intervals of 3) so im about 1/3 done with BF'ing. Its amazing how much you need to pay attention to your sense of touch and hearing for figuring out these things. Its a VERY interesting field for sure.
<<

keymaster1053

Post Tue May 05, 2015 4:37 pm

Metalnerd wrote: Its amazing how much you need to pay attention to your sense of touch and hearing for figuring out these things. Its a VERY interesting field for sure.

This is true, but especially on the Sentry type safes which are known as "Direct Drive" when you move up to S&G Group 2 locks, then you will use sight and feel more than any other sense. You could actually be deaf and still do it. :)
:hbg:
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment
Next

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks