FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Old safe in an old 4 story building.

<<

namggey

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:51 pm

Old safe in an old 4 story building.

1.JPG
2.JPG
This is a safe in a storage room in a building that I do maintenance on. It is a different building than the one of the small vault that I posted the other day. The safe is about four and a half feet tall. Three hinges. The door is square cornered. The top is rounded. The casters are fixed, no wheels rotate. The door is on the left side of the picture shoved tight against the wall. The handle and dial are missing. The hinge tips look like the old Mosler cast iron fire safes.The photos online of the Mosler Cast Iron Fire Safes do resemble this thing. I have not seen any Mosler safes like this online (yet) that have three hinges though. I was wondering with this information and the photos, if anyone thought it might be a different make of safe. Granted we cannot see the front of the safe with the handle and dial ( which would be nice if they were on the safe) to help identify it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

4.JPG
3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:32 pm

Re: Old safe in an old 4 story building.

The opening can be difficult. Depending on how the dial was removed there can be quite a lot damage. Activated relocker, bent spindle. But perhaps you are lucky and you need just pull on the door.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

namggey

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:18 pm

You are right. The only way to know is to have it moved away from the wall and see what the deal is. It might have been sitting like this for who knows how many years. If it would not cost me more to move it than to buy it, I would like to bring it home and restore it. I should start spraying the three wheels I can get to, to start loosening things up just in case I can get it for a reasonable price.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:09 am

Good luck!
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

namggey

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:05 am

Thanks, I will probably need it!

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks