FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Help with rapping a Lockwood oval cylinder.

<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Mon May 26, 2014 8:39 pm

Help with rapping a Lockwood oval cylinder.

image.jpg

I have no key for this cylinder & would like to disassemble it.

Normally I would shim it, however in this case, the warding renders this almost impossible. The only other non destructive technique that comes to mind is rapping - something I have no experience with.

As I understand it, I need to remove the cam, apply gentle pressure to the back of the plug & then hit it, bible side facing downwards, against a solid surface, such as a block of wood. I have tried this & have not managed to set a single pin stack (I can't hear any snapping back down when I release pressure on the back of the plug.)

Am I doing this correctly & does anybody have any hints that might improve my chances?

Thanks,

...Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Neilau

Post Mon May 26, 2014 11:01 pm

Re: Help with rapping a Lockwood oval cylinder.

I have opened several of these - slightly different profile - with a Bogota.

Looks like the original cylinder has been replaced with a restricted key replacement.

Still, I'd give the Bogota a try.

The ones that I have are all pickable as well, just quicker with the Bog.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Tue May 27, 2014 6:02 am

As I understand it, I need to remove the cam, apply gentle pressure to the back of the plug & then hit it

I think you mean rotational Pressure. Apply a micro second after the pins cross the shear line and just before they reset.
Not familiar with this brand of lock I'd like a photo of the back, not sure why you're not able to shim from the back, as warding would be bypassed.
Use a thin piece of metal........maybe a street sweeper bristle with a ramp filed on the end to insert into the key-way acting as a key, then use curved shim from the back of the lock between the plug and the bible.

I don't know this brand, So it seems straight forward to me. Cause I am assuming.
:shock:

Great Shimming video below.

http://youtu.be/TO5185eOiYc
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue May 27, 2014 12:46 pm

I'd love to get ahold of that lock. Great keyway!

A simple diamond rake from the front, and a shim from a security tag from the rear, and it should shim easily enough.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to Lock Picking