FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Feeling a little stuck

<<

Foresky

Post Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:37 pm

Feeling a little stuck

Hey all,

I have only been into picking for 2 days, and have covered almost all the theory. Ive noticed me struggling with certain concepts and was wondering if anyone could offer me any advice.

Problems:

Tension - I have noticed sometimes i put too much tension on the wrench, as i am picking the clear lock and can see an over-set pin, how do i know when i should put more or less tension on the plug?

Feeling the pins - not sure what to say about this, this is basically the issue.

I think these are the main problems, i just dont know how to proceed, and am really hoping i can get some guidance.

Thank you
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:50 pm

Re: Feeling a little stuck

You want enough tension to bind the pins but you don't want to mar up the keyway. If you have such heavy tension that the pins won't lift it's too much.
Also, how you handle your pick will help you feel what is going on inside the lock. Most people hold a pick with their index finger and thumb, but if you also place your middle finger against the face of the lock and the side of the pick at the same time it helps you feel the pins and stabilizes your hand against the lock.
<<

Foresky

Post Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:54 pm

mdc5150 wrote:You want enough tension to bind the pins but you don't want to mar up the keyway. If you have such heavy tension that the pins won't lift it's too much.
Also, how you handle your pick will help you feel what is going on inside the lock. Most people hold a pick with their index finger and thumb, but if you also place your middle finger against the face of the lock and the side of the pick at the same time it helps you feel the pins and stabilizes your hand against the lock.

Yeah, i have this principle in mind, i guess that will just take more practice to get the hang of.

The feeling pins thing, i hold the pick like a pencil, but i will try to see if these concepts also help.

Thank you! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
<<

Visitor

Post Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:02 am

I think you would benefit from a 2 pin lock then a 3, 4, 5 until you're picking full locks.
<<

Werewolf

Familiar Face

Post Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:45 am

Best beginner lesson i know:

Take a cylinder apart and reinstall with only the last pin stack.
Pick it and then do the same with less tension. The lowest tension that will still open it , is what you will want.

Then reinstall the first pin stack.
Now you have to feel what pin is binding and pick that one first. Try picking in both directions.
Using the first and last reduces the possibility of setting both at once. It will also give you a better feel for finding the pins.

Then reinstall the middle pin stack.
Then 4 , then 5.
"Who are you and how did you get in here ?"
"I'm the locksmith , and i'm a locksmith"

Return to Uber-Noob